1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Flow Valve Sensor defective

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zenMachine, Nov 20, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been getting this weird ticking noise near the inverter area that only happens when the ICE starts in cold mode. I brought the car in for inspection and they said it was a known defect in cars manufactured between 2003-2006 (mine is an 07 model, but I suppose its VIN falls in the defected range). They replaced the defective part and the noise seems to have gone away (don't know yet for how long).

Luckily for me my car was still under 36K warranty for this, otherwise it would have cost me $266. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the defective part? I'm not aware of any problems with the 04 - 06 Prius in the coolant area. I have an 04 and have never had a problem.

3. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    If there is a known defect then Toyota would have issued a TSB and would be repairing all the Prii that fall into the years and VIN numbers. Please take a look at your bill to if they noted that this was done under a TSB.

4. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Nov 20 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]542011[/snapback]</div>
    They did give me a copy of the TSB, as a matter of fact, but only after I asked for the details.
    I don't have the TSB with me right now but I will post it tonight when I get home in case anyone's interested.

5. drive2much

drive2much Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talking to the service adviser this morning, he told me that I needed a new "coolant overflow temperature sensor". I don't know if that is the same thing as the coolant flow valve sensor, but it sure sounds like it. Luckily my '05 Prius is still under warranty, although not for long.

Needing the new sensor might explain why my check engine light came on, but I don't know why that would also cause the VSC light and the brake light to come on. (The brake light I am talking about is a yellow exclamation point with two partial circles around it. At least my manual said that light had something to do with the brakes, but the adviser said it was a light to indicate that the tires were under-inflated.)

Any thoughts on why all 3 lights would come on for a coolant sensor?

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drive2much @ Nov 20 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]542115[/snapback]</div>
    Ask for the codes. That way we can see why your received alams are, or are not, related to what you saw on the dash.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's the details from the Technical Service Bulletin:

May 19, 2005
    Title: M.I.L "ON" DTC P1121

Introduction: Some customers with 2004-2006 model year Prius vehicles may experience a M.I.L. "ON" condition with DTC P1121, Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Stuck. The coolant flow control valve has been improved to prevent this condition

Applicalbe Vehicles:
    - All 2004-2005 model year Prius vehicles
    - 2006 model year Prius vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINS shown below

Production Change Information:
    Plant: Tsutsumi, VIN: JTDKB2#U#63195813
    Plant: Toyota Auto Body, VIN: JTDKB2#U#67526644
    - Underlined number in VIN (11th digit) represents assembly plant code

Parts Information:
    16670-21010: Coolant Flow Control Valve
    00272-SLLC2: Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC)

Warranty Information:
    Op Code: EG5019 - R&R Coolant Flow Control Valve.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. (Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.)

8. drive2much

drive2much Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Nov 20 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]542133[/snapback]</div>
    When I picked up my car this morning, the tech said that code P1116 was the only code that came up. He said it was not a code he had ever seen before. Any idea what it means?

9. stealthvw

stealthvw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm getting P1116 intermittantly also. Every few days the check engine lamp comes on and then clears itself in a few days. I notice that it seems to set after very short trips in cold temps ( below freezing ). It seems to clear after longer drives of 20 minutes or more. I also notice the coolant pump making noise at some times and sounding OK at other times.

The dealer tried to track down a wiring issue but found nothing. The lamp goes out before I can arrange a dealer inspection.

Refering to the Toyota troubleshooting manual on P1116, it seems that if the temp sensor at the tank and the sensor at the engine don't read the same this fault can be flagged. Sensor replacement seems easy if the correct part can be found.

My car is a salvage rebuild and is not covered by Toyota. It has only 8K miles and runs great except for this warning lamp.

Any suggestions?

I would work on it myself it I know how to proceed.