1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant in the transmission fluid?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nate358, Mar 30, 2022.

1. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am changing the transmission fluid on my 2012 and the fluid that came out was dark red and creamy. I had a Toyota dealership change the fluid 40k-50k miles ago and I vaguely remember they didn't put ATF WS in it but some other kind of ATF... I could be remembering the incorrect because I had them change the engine coolant any maybe it wasn't super long life they put in. I'll have to look at the paperwork. But, is it possible for inverter coolant to somehow find its way into the transmission? I know if a head gasket goes, engine coolant can find its way into the engine oil... But just trying to figure out what would make the ATF cloudy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota ATF WS is red. Considering the emphatic warning in Owners Manual (not to use anything else) it’s doubtful a dealership would use a substitute. Is it oily feeling, same as your new fluid (assuming you purchased ATF WS)?

3. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aeration and moisture could cause that depending on how you would describe creamy.

If it's been super humid out, the car sits a lot, is short tripped all the time and/or the fluid was changed cold I wouldn't be surprised if it looked funky when changed.

Getting up to temp for a long time removes moisture from ATF just as it does from engine oil.

4. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I revisited the paperwork done at the dealership in 2019 and all fluids used were correct.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.