1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Coolant leak" but normal levels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hippo24, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Hippo24

Hippo24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't often get oil changes at the dealer, but had a good coupon. They still got me though.

Was told I have a coolant leak based on some dried up coolant noted at a seal. BUT, coolant levels completely normal with no need for a top off.

Fast forward a week later. No fluids noted on my drip tray and no change in the coolant levels.

Still worth replacing the water pump? I did see the dried up coolant, but I'm curious if it's possible for the leak to reseal or something along those lines.

Car is a 2006 Prius with 150k.

Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The water pump seal may leak ever so slightly, I don't think you have to worry if there's no reduction in the fluid level.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    JC91006 X2

This is where experience should be used to determine whether it's something in need of replacement or not. My theory for coolant issues......
    If it's wet, get ready to replace it.
    If it's crusty, roll with it and monitor.

I've had a handful of HV battery replacement jobs where I've seen pink residue on the inside of the water pump pulley. No crisis. I inform the owner, use a flashlight to show them exactly where it is so they can monitor it and monitor the coolant level. There's typically plenty of time available to make this a planned repair at some future date when it needs it.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The residue actually could be from a previous replacement, where you got some coolant on the pulley and it dried there.

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. On the 2nd inverter pump change there was some pink crust on the bleeder valve. Leak or a few drops left behind from the 1st change that dried out? Who knows. This time I rinsed off the outside of the bleeder valve and all around the pump really well with some water, and dried them thoroughly. If on inspection later there are crystals I will know it wasn't from the work I just did.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great opportunity for a thorough detailing of the engine compartment... That way if it's going to be a problem you'll be certain it's new if you can see it return after cleaning it.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be aware do not use the overflow tank as a measure of ice coolant capacity. As in a g2 it hardly moves even if the rad is very low.

Take the black plastic cover off the top of the radiator and check the rad itself for coolant by opening the rad cap.
    Not necessary to put the screws back in that cover when you close the hood it traps that cover very well.
    I leave the screws off so I can check all the fluids fast once a week.

PriusCamper likes this.