1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant pump noise question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by satsuke, Dec 16, 2007.

1. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

Has anyone else had a problem with the coolant pump that runs after the poweroff? On my 2006 it makes a loud noise every once and awhile and always sounds like it's got a bearing burned or something.

No problems otherwise so far ,. only thing I had to take it in for on warrenty issues was the rear spoiler came loose (and still rattles pretty good).

Only other comment ,. car hates cold weather ,. went from ~50 mpg city to ~36-40 once the temp is below 40 (30 minute commute).

Satsuke

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, it gets loud in cold weather. As long as it's making noise it's working...usually. A few folks have had theirs replaced for some severely abnormal sounds.

3. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

Mine has done it more during warm weather than not actually ,. it's garaged and is around 70 most of the time..

4. ramer

ramer Junior Member

The coolant pump on my 2006 (April) started gurgling when I turn the power on. In the past several weeks it has started squawking loudly when I turn the power off. It definitely sounds like a dry bearing.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Every year when it cools off, my '04 has the same "fried bearing" sound as well. This year it's a bit worse (as w/ 92k miles it should), but still functional. I'd love to find that poor bearing and give it a squirt of grease though just to avoid the expensive repair down the line.

6. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Noisy coolant pump??

I have noticed more noise since the cold weather hit. I was reading posts on noisy pumps and was convinced I may have a pump problem too, but then ran across a thread on a "barking" noise some others have posted. The "barking" on startup is apparently caused by the ABS actuator valve. I only mention this to insure the two noises aren't confused by others, so that appropriate action can be taken with the dealer.

7. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your link just takes one back to the top of this thread. Do you have another reference?

9. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A