1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant quantities?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lagreca, Mar 14, 2012.

1. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

I am getting ready to replace my inverter AND engine coolant on my 2006 Prius. Does anyone know what the quantities that each system requires?

Also, does each system take the same coolant? Or do they each require a different type of coolant?

Thanks!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll need 3 gallons, Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, which is dealer only. The inverter loop will require 1 gallon. The engine will take somewhat more than 1 gallon, but it is really hard to get anywhere close to the full amount out, due to the myriad of hoses. I suggest that you NOT drain the coolant storage tank, unless you have a scan tool to run the pump, or the patience to run the pump directly with a 12V battery and a paper clip.

3. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

When you say "I suggest that you NOT drain the coolant storage tank", do you mean the storage thank for the inverter or for the radiator?

Thank you.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Seilerts means the thermos bottle that stores warm coolant in a Gen2 Prius.

JeffD

5. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my coolant at napa full strength. Toyota is mixed.