1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Regulator Valve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by levelup, Nov 7, 2017.

1. levelup

levelup New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2004 Toyota Prius which has recently been giving me alerts (the whole exclamation point in the triangle and the engine light coming on) so I went to the dealership so they could run some diagnostics. The dealership diagnosed it as needing a new coolant regulator valve, they said the one thats currently in the car keeps getting clogged or something like that. I went to a Goodyear today to see if they could give me an estimate on how much it would cost for them to replace the part because I was looking for a cheaper option. After Goodyear looked at my car, they said that my car was leaking a little bit of water and coolant. They refilled my car with coolant and now the engine light and alerts are off. The Goodyear mechanics recommended that I get a new water pump for my car instead of replacing the coolant regulator valve. I was wondering what I should go with, the coolant regulator valve or the water pump?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there's no way of knowing, without the diagnostic codes. sometimes a shop will see a little weeping of the water pump and think it needs to be replaced. but it can be normal.
    how much did toyota want for the valve?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds to me your car needs an inverter pump, which is a pump that cools the inverter. That would be the pump that would give you a red triangle.

A 3 way coolant valve failure would only give you a check engine light.

Easy fix for $100 if you do it yourself. But before you do anything, you need to verify your failed part, and not guess at it

4. levelup

levelup New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Toyota quoted me $500 for the part and the installment. I already bought the part myself off of ebay for about $85, but once I looked up how to repair it, I think I bit off more than what I could chew. Shouldn't the toyota dealership know which code is giving the issue if they ran the diagnostics?

5. levelup

levelup New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im not guessing at it. I went to the toyota dealership and spend $120 for diagnostics and they told me that the coolant regulator valve was the problem. But since the people at Goodyear are telling me that its a water pump problem, I got confused.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, they should. call and ask for a copy of the trouble codes, you paid for them.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure what the dealer meant by coolant regulator valve. My guess is the 3 way valve and that failure doesn't cause the red triangle to come on