1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant resivor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tylerjames, Dec 27, 2015.

1. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello, got my oil changed and was told my coolant resivor is cracked and leaking. I have been driving 4,000 miles since then and not known or noticed anything until informed today.

Is this a high priority fix? I'm not sure exactly what it is but my car hasn't showed any signs of overheating.

Also what is an estimate of price for parts and labor?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it engine coolant, or inverter? probably engine, because it's less critical.

3. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately they didn't specify.. I feel like something would of happend though by now

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the engine coolant doesn't get used that much. the inverter coolant reservoir is pretty small and more critical i think. fill the engine coolant overflow tank and see if anything is leaking out. if not, remove the excess, you don't want it mixing with the coolant. who is telling you this?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you seen any signs of coolant on the ground where you park the car? Have you had to add any coolant to either reservoir lately? Are your reservoir levels low?

If no to all questions I would just keep an eye on the reservoir levels.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The coolant reservoirs are easy to inspect, out in the open. Maybe ask them to show you where they're seeing cracks and leakage. It shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can mark both with a grease pencil and observe. Both reservoirs are important. The inverter reservoir is critical and should be kept full and cap on tight. Fortunately all Prii are very cool running machines especially the inverter portion. I would go back to Toyota and ask to be shown the crack. The engine or radiator reservoir is very important in the Summer when it's hot and automatically takes care of expanded coolant when hot and later returns to radiator again after cooling. If the inverter reservoir is replaced the air must be bled also, so let Toyota do that.

8. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone, I have confirmed it is the engine radiator overflow tank that is cracked. I am trying to remove it for inspection, but cant seem to get it off. it is immediately behind the radiator and attached some how (other then the 2 hoses) any ideas?

Thanks,

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't have a 2007, but should be easy. Biggest problems are usually the hoses, a little lubricant helps, wipe off surplus later. It's 8 years old now so some parts are beginning to marry. It may be under Gen Maintain and Troubleshooting.

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Feel underneath for attachments.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the coolant overflow tank is an integral part of the radiator and is not intended to be separately replaced. You can get a new radiator for ~$194 plus shipping here:
    RADIATOR for 2004 Toyota Prius|16041-21281

You ask whether this is a high-priority fix. The answer is yes, certainly this is required especially in summer weather.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Pat, I wondered if was built in.