1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Slightly Below The Line

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lukey51, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Lukey51

Lukey51 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I added 2 or 3 ounces of RO water to my radiator last week, just to bring the level up to the Max line. Then I realized the leftover coolant I had on hand is 50/50 mix and I could have added some of that instead.

This is the only coolant I've had to add in the last year or two, and this is of no concern right?

I just wanted to add 2-3 ounces, enough to bring it up to the max line so I can see it when I rock the car from side to side when I check it.
    Some guy on a Toyota hybrid forum was trying to tell me I have a coolant leak, but I doubt I do.

When I start the car, I can smell coolant in the exhaust, and we've talked about that here in other posts. Because the car has a sensor in the muffler or something that helps send warm air to the air intake or something like that, until the engine warms up, and then I no longer smell coolant in the exhaust..

It's been a wonderful little car for me for 3.75 years now.
    I'm fixing to change my oil soon, at 11 months and about 2300 miles.
    I finally ran this fill of oil past the 6 month mark.
    It was hard to get over the 6 month OCI habit.
    With Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0w20, I could probably wait until Spring or even Oct 2024 and be fine.
    It still makes the engine purr like a kitten.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doesn’t sound like an issue, but keep an eye on it.
    You shouldn’t be losing coolant consistently.
    Regarding smelling coolant in the exhaust, that doesn’t sound right to me

Lukey51 likes this.