1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant System Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thepelican, Nov 14, 2021.

1. thepelican

thepelican New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good afternoon everyone!
    Ive had a check engine light for months now for catalytic converter. Last week my heater stopped blowing hot air and I had the engine overheating warning came on at highway speeds (fine on back roads). Would these both be connected to the coolant master pump? The car is a 2009 base prius with 218,000 miles. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. Just replaced the CAT so Im hoping a code will pop up for this new issue, just wanted ideas in the mean time.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Have you checked the coolant level in the overflow reservoir?

FYI : You're being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your engine water pump failed most likely. Or the belt that powered it fell off.

Take the black plastic cover off the top of the radiator the radiator fill Cap is under there on the left. The rad is probably empty.

The G2 engine will not take many severe overheats before the head gasket fails.

Like the engine oil dipstick and the inverter coolant reservoir the rad coolant level must be routinely checked at least once a week. Older it gets the more attention it needs.

I leave the cover unscrewed so I can quickly check the rad. Don’t bother with the over flow tank it could be full and rad empty.