1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Transfer Noise...FIXED!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BitShifter01, Jun 21, 2008.

1. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Hello,

For over a year the coolant pump in my Prius has made that interesting noise when you power it on/off in cold weather.

See this thread here.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/38464-noise-start-up.html

Well I recorded the noise and took it into the dealer to have them take a look at it. Even after watching the video they were a little reluctant to fix it. they wanted to leave the car overnight so they could power it on and hear the noise themselves.

After a day they decided to replace the part under warranty. Since it has been replaced the only noise I hear is the standard pump running. According to them, there are two pumps, one for drawing fluid out of the thermos, and one for putting it back. Can someone tell me if this is true? I think they are just feeding me a line. The first time I went to pick up the car it still made the same noise, even though they said it was fixed. They then took it back in and replaced the 'other' pump and the noise went away. My mother and Grandfather both have Prii. My mom's 2007 Prius makes the same noise, but my grandfather's does not.

I figured I would just spread the word to let you know it IS possible to get this pump replaced, as most of you know from reading other posts. It took me just a little persistence but it was finally replaced.

Regards,
    BitShifter01

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No - there is only one coolant heat recovery pump, along with a rotary valve setup that allows the correct flow of fluid in and out of the thermos container as controlled by the engine ECU.

Glad that you got the pump replaced under warranty.

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have a 2006 and 2007 Prius. One makes the weird pump noise after shutting it down and the other doesn't. I am going to have to learn more about this now

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Galaxee recently posted that Toyota has now issued a TSB for it and it can be fixed under the power train warranty.

5. DGESSWIN

DGESSWIN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the pump on the right I ordered what I thought was the right pump. And the one on the left came in. Am I just ordering wrong parts? image.jpeg

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The one on the right is the inverter pump, the one on the left is a 3 way coolant valve

7. DGESSWIN

DGESSWIN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which one sounds like squealing mice?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neither. Only one that makes a sound would be the thermos pump....like a tea kettle when it gets old.

You should have failure codes on the parts you're replacing, or you'll end up replacing good parts for no reason

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do posters keep tagging on to ancient posts? You spend all that time searching then give us nothing. Just post a NEW THREAD and give us the year of the car, the mileage, how long you have owned it, and whats the problem. Why do you make us slog through years old posts to find you new post.

I no longer reply to people that do this.

10. DGESSWIN

DGESSWIN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's really different from the Prius forum and the S197 mustang forum. If we don't search we ger blasted. Sorry if I offended you edthefox5 I'm just trying to make sense of this car. I have never had issues. Just normal maintenance.
    -Don

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you didn't offend me it's just time consuming to go through years old posts to find your new one.
    And your new post will never show in the thread run downs. It's buried by the old posts and in the name of the original years ago poster.Then other people tag on to yours and now you have many different people asking for help in one thread it gets ridiculous. So I don't bother anymore.

Other forums ask you to search but they don't mean re-post all that you find.

You will have alot more views if you post a fresh post.