1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooled seats

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmann, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Several months ago when I was first considering installing after market leather, I thought I remember finding a heating and cooling seat kit. I presume that it used Thermo-electric to do that, but I have no idea. Nonetheless, I cannot find it again. Am I crazy or where do I find this? katzkin has something they call "ventilation" but that ain't cooling. I want my hot leather to cool down in minute during the summer.

Thanks

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think its possible, or if it is I don't think it will have the "instant" effect you're looking for. I've driven several new Lexuses that have cooled seats and they're great! Mine only has heated unfortunately. They accomplish the cooling with fans that circulate the air through the perforated leather. Without that circulation they won't cool down the way you want them to.

3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On those cars with OEM cooling, is it connected to the air conditioner?

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, its seperately controlled. They have a dial that lets you set the level of cooling or heating you want. Mercedes does the same with a button that goes through settings.

5. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So it is just cabin air forced through the seat? I wonder why they just don't use Thermo-electric heaters and coolers.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the OEM cooled seats are just that - ventilated seats. They do not blow cold, air conditioned air.

However, some people with the IS and ES have noticed that on their vehicles, when you put the Auto A/C to the "foot" mode, the fan blows a tad stronger without changing the fan speed.

7. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    RECARO make seats that are heated and ventilated. However, they are not cheap!