1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooling Down Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bnaccs, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just started to notice that my Prius makes weird sounds when I first pull in the garage and turn it off. It is almost like an electrical sound, or bees buzzing, or water boiling with a lid on the pot, instead of the normal ping and pop that some cars make when cooling down. The sound goes away in a few minutes. This is when the car is completly off. It does make the occasional ping sound like a normal car from time to time when cooling off.too. Has anyone else noticed this with their Prius?

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup, it's normal according to the owner's manual. Actually, there's another sound at about an hour later which is fuel vapor check. You should also hear "bees buzzing" when you open the driver's door after the car's been shut off for a while. One time I heard a screaming sound when I closed the passenger door, but it was me screaming when I closed the door on my finger!

Read the owner's manual for complete details and descriptions of sounds.

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

Tom nailed it. It's normal.

4. lovingUcbog

lovingUcbog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    like the screaming sound part

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The "sound" after shut down (not the screaming :D) is one of the four Prii coolant pumps running:

1. ICE coolant pump - a mechanical pump in a Gen2.
    2. Inverter Coolant Pump - an electrical pump that is the subject of a free replacement recall in older Gen2 Prii.
    3. Thermos coolant pump (this is the "sound"). It runs at shutdown and start-up to conserve heat energy in a Gen2.
    4. Heater coolant pump (keeps you warm in cold weather).
    JeffD

6. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks so much. I read the owner's manual but missed thepart on right after shut down. I hear th esound when opening my door, and then the evap. check about 5 hours later, but the sound I explained was new to me. Glad it's a normal sound. I love m ycar!