1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooling system and CARB warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ePriusdotcom, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ePriusdotcom

ePriusdotcom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, just curious to see if anyone knows if the cooling system is covered under the CARB 10/150k warranty. I am talking about the CHS tank, CHS temp sensor, coolant flow valve, aux water pump, and CHS storage tank? Since they can trigger an emission related check engine light?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one? i guess you can check the warranty book.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is hard to know how to reply. You list a 2012 Prius, but posts in a Gen 2 forum.
    Massachusetts has been CARB since 2004, so all of Gen 2 would be covered.
    I can post the warranty of 2012 but I doubt it is the relevant one.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Prius/pdf/2012_Toyota_Prius_WMG.pdf

Page 27 of the PDF, page 25 of the manual. But I bet it is the wrong manual, I just do not know what year IS correct. (None of your items are covered in 2012, but then a 2012 Prius contains none of those parts)

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Speaking from experience, most of the parts you listed should be covered, as they would definitely trigger a CEL, meaning emission(s) issue. And a CEL will absolutely produce a failed emission test (if the car needed to be smoged).

Jan 2014, 122K miles, DTC P1121 (3-way coolant control valve). Take the car to the dealer ship telling the service writer about the DTC, and suggesting that this should be covered under the CARB warranty b/c emissions related. A Technician assessed the car. A few hours later, pick-up the car after warranty work was performed.

However, I have heard people in California having to pay out of pocket for the 3-way coolant control valve, and they were no way near 10Year/150K miles. Guess their service writer doesn't know what is covered, doesn't want to push for warranty coverage, and/or the vehicle owner doesn't want to fight for this.

#4 exstudent, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015