1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coping with snow in the UK

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Friar Tuck, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its coming up to winter in the UK when we are again 'surprised' by a downpour of snow. (sometimes leaving nearly an inch or so on the roads)
    As usual, there is chaos. Roads come to a grinding halt. People abandon cars by the thousands and all major cities come to a standstill.
    Why are we the only country in the world that this happens to, or does it happen elsewhere.
    We use thousands of tons of salt to melt the snow and gain extra grip, but still, the switchboards are jammed by people calling into work because they can't travel the 2 miles to work due to the weather.

A friend of mine has a house in Austria where daily they get 3 feet of snow. The snow is cleared immediately and causes no major issues. What are we doing wrong?
    What do you do in the USA and Canada?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Plow. In my part of the country, we plow snow immediately. When it gets too deep to plow, they use front end loaders and dump trucks.

Tom

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on the person here... Grab the snowshoes, cross country skis, snowmobile... but that's generally for those who like to have fun with it :) Most of the rest of us just drive and complain about the traffic!

I've only had trouble once while driving... the snow was coming down so hard and fast the plows couldn't keep up. I ended up stuck for 15 minutes in a drift trying to make a right turn.

4. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have 'gritters' that are supposed to go out before the snow comes. Unfortunately, we never seem to predict the weather right, so the men who drive the gritters get stuck in the 1" of snow anyway.
    I believe the Germans change all of there tyres for winter ones when October or November comes and can be fined if they do not.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the same problem here. Snow is so infrequent and intermittent that people generally aren't prepared for it. The hilly terrain doesn't help, nor does the changing weather. We'll get a skiff that melts during the day and freezes over night, so traction changes constantly throughout the day, and even between sunny and shady patches. Some years the salt and sand trucks are rarely used, and in others we'll blow the snow removal budget in a week. People from places that get real snow laugh when the city comes to a standstill over tiny amounts of the fluffy stuff. One year, even the rapid transit didn't work because snow prevented the automatic doors from closing. I laugh too - snow boots and a hat are all I need. :)

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is one of the ways we cope with it. This is my wife heading up the last pitch:

[​IMG]

Tom

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it is easier in places where you get lot's of snow almost every year. invest in the equipment and be done with it. but when you only get a little every once in a while, it's hard to justify the investment. i have relatives in the d.c. area that say the city comes to a halt when they get an inch of snow. around boston, it's business as usual and only wimps take the day off, except in 1978 when thousands of people left work at 5:00 and half way home got stuck in 2-3' of rapidly accumulating snow and spent 24 hours or more in their cars waiting to be rescued.:eek:

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seattle comes to a halt at 3 inches of snow. Twenty years ago, before SUVs and 4WDs became half the daily commuting fleet, it took at least 4 inches. The lowlands have few plows, a big fleet is not cost effective.

The inland cities can handle far more.

9. korat102

korat102 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem I've ever had in the sort of snow we get in the UK these days is other people.

I drove a little Renault 5 Turbo 20 miles home in four inches of snow without a single wheelspin or a slide - that's a lightweight 'front wheel drive jet propelled roller skate'. Never had a problem with the Prius either. Yet every time it snows, all around me are people with wheels spinning, people going sideways, people panicking whenever they see something in front of them.

I think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle around diesel slicked roundabouts in driving rain before being let loose in a car - it does wonders for your ability to read the road conditoions and react to them.

Too many people treat a cars controls like on/off switches and wonder why things go wrong.

[gets off soapbox]

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is too funny. There is a great invention, called Snow Tires (Winter Tyres).
    - made of softer rubber
    - does not become frigid at -20c
    - has huge teeth
    - some have coconut threads in the teeth for extra grip on pure ice streets

Imagine a snow storm, where within 8 hours 24" to 30" (inches) fall overnight. We plow our streets, rarely use salt - because it's ineffective when the ambient air is colder than the freezing point !

The next morning, we leave earlier as we have to dig out our car, scrape the windows. Then head out to work in rush hour traffic, it might be an extra hour to drive the 20 or so miles.

The biggest problem are the small streets, where the lanes are narrower due to the snowplow making 5 foot hills on either side.

This is normal, happens at least 10x per winter, here in Quebec, Canada.

Last 5-6 years though, we're jealous of the central states in the US, getting more snowstorms and more inches, than we do.

This Sucks Big Time - our cross country / skidoo trails are not thick enough, and for downhill skiing the slopes need to use excessive artificial snow, which is granier than the real thing.

At least we get lots of sub-zero temperatures, that sometimes lasts weeks on end. That builds character.

// 1 to 3 inches of snow...worried...panzies !!!

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    +1 on where your at depends on how the weather is handled. I've heard comedians comment on how LA shuts down for rain. In my younger days, I once did 55+ down the turnpike on 3 inches of unplowed snow. At night, with just the parking lights because the snowfall was too heavy for headlights.

Locality funding is also a major factor. Where I grew up in NJ, the township can put down salt when there is just an inch. Some towns in Pa can run out of salt during the season, or not able to afford it to start with, instead use what is called cinders, basicly stone grit. I'm sure places like Germany and Austria have no problem finding the funds for clearing roads.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dry snow is completely different than wet snow that turns to ice as soon as it's compressed. I know, you Easterners laugh at the pictures you see on the news about Vancouver drivers in Winter. Well, what little glimpses of Winter we get. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Snow can be quite bad for areas not used to it. Ice is much worse

Despite having a large SUV, I still run dedicated factory studded winter tires on it. Around a year ago, I had been invited to a friends house in NW Ontario to go moose hunting. The freezing rain turned to heavy snow, and in 24 hours we went from fall to winter

[​IMG]

Vehicles were in the ditch everywhere, but I could proceed in 2H at 50 km/h. The road was closed at the Ontario border due to a bad crash, so I turned back. Stopped at a truckstop to have a second breakfast. You can clearly see the studs in the tires

[​IMG]

Around an hour later, had to pull off at a rest stop to "drain" the 4 cups of coffee I had drunk. I literally fell on my butt getting out of the vehicle, that is how icy it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I highly recommend studded tires, especially the new generation of factory studded Nokian winter tires. They use a special square-shaped stud. The directional tread pattern is very safe on rain and slush soaked roads too

[​IMG]

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends which part of Canada and the US. Those that get snow every year usually have less issues because they're better prepared (and usually have the budget for it). On the west coast of both continents (say.. below 55°N) snow isn't a common thing and when it does fall, it's the big wet sticky flakes that can turn into slush or simply get washed away a few days later by heavy rain.

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish Michigan would stop fooling around and let us run the new studded tires. Studded tires are technically legal in Michigan, but only if they meet a standard not supported by any tire manufacturer.

Tom

16. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was talking to a friend of mine recently who owns a place in Austria.

He told me that they use cow urine (after treament) as a road de-icer.

I'm not sure if he was taking the p??s. (No pun intended)

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, mostly true! Urea has been used at airports for a long time, as any sort of salt on the runways would cause extensive corrosion damage to airframes and jet engines

Although not corrosive in the usual way, urea can cause problems with algae blooms in rivers and lakes. See below

Roadsalt and Winter Maintenance for British Columbia Municipalities

Road Salts & Deicers | Wise Water Use

Some locales "prewet" the pavement with brine or this stuff

http://www.cargilldeicing.com/liquids/hydro_melt/dc_dt_hydromelt_sellsheet.pdf

18. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No studs in southern Ontario
    They spray the roads before a snow comes

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius