1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla: 1.8L and cone-CVT

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I knew Toyota had made a big show of the new Corolla but two technologies are interesting:
    Source: Green Car Congress: New 2014 Toyota Corolla brings Valvematic, new CVT to North America; up to >40 mpg highway

The Prius cooled exhaust recirculation and exhaust heated coolant are good but I've always known better intake valve control is the next big thing. It would be especially useful in the "Prius v".

The other interesting technology is the cont-CVT:
    Source: ibid​

Honda's IMA hybrids used a cone or belt CVT which I used to wonder about. But their service life has been impressive (or I've not heard many problems.) This CVT won't help our hybrid electrics as much as improve efficiency of the existing gas-only vehicles. But there is one 'random thought.'

A single motor/battery system combined with a CVT might save weight while providing effective regenerative braking and limited EV mode. This could be a game-changer by expanding hybrid technology to all of their gas-only models.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting... I suppose it would be the 1st Toyota-branded belt/pulley style CVT in the US. The Scion iQ I know uses a CVT which I believe is of belt/pulley design but I guess it's not Toyota-branded.

There was a video (unfortunately yanked) that showed some CVT equipped JDM Corolla beating a Ferrari (430?) in a reverse drag race. It was some goofy Japanese TV show.

Re: the CVT in Honda hybrids, I actually have had heard of some probs w/those in the earlier gen HCHs. One of my former coworkers had an earlier gen (sometime before the 06 model year) HCH and I think he said his transmission seemed like it might be on its way out.

On an unrelated note, I'd saw the exterior styling of the '14 Corolla is a big step up. But, I'm not a real fan of the interior styling. Some previous gens of Corollas had more attractive interiors.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't like the way the iQ drove in terms of the transmission. The ride quality from the suspension was fine but that CVT... god. The PSD in the Prius is much better. I hope that the CVTi-S in the Corolla is better tuned than the CVT in the iQ. (And don't get me started on "B" in the iQ).

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wouldn't that just be Honda's IMA?
    Mazda's start-stop and regenerative braking might give most of the benefit of an assist hybrid without the weight, space, and cost of a electric motor and traction battery.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is still offering the 4 speed on the base model.

Just gave the pictures more than a passing glance, and it looks like a Kia to me.