1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corolla to Prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Cjrciadt, May 8, 2014.

1. Cjrciadt

Cjrciadt New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello 1st post , long time lurker here :) Local dealership is offering a good trade-in value for our 2011 LE. Had my mind setup on an new LE Eco, but tempted by the Prius HB two. They are offering a few twos for within 1k of the LE Eco's actually selling price. Just asking feedback for those who switched from Corolla to Prius.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....
    This is PRIUS CHAT, so the opinions are going to be a little subjective.
    You are going to have to find out what's important to YOU, and I would strongly suggest driving BOTH 3-4 times before doing the coin toss.

I did a very comprehensive stare and compare between the Prius G3 and a 10th Gen Corolla last year with the purpose of getting a small, econobox.....and my CFO and I drove each several times.
    We wound up getting another house instead.
    We probably would have gotten the Corolla, but that car would have fit OUR needs better.
    YOUR needs are going to be different, so your choice might be as well.
    Here are some observations as they occur to me.....

The 2014 is the eleventh iteration of the Corolla, and there's a reason that they sell 200,000 of them every year.
    They're great cars, and to be honest I found the G10 to be a LOT more comfortable than the Prius and somewhat cheaper as well.
    The 2013 Corolla was about as sophisticated as a 2x4. It did have a much better ride than the Prius but it's probably the last car on the planet that still uses a 4-speed automatic transmission and has rear drum brakes.
    Neither one is what you would call a joy to drive, since they both have about the same thrust-to-weight ratio, although I'm told that the '14 Corolla's handling "feels" a little more competent. Almost anything beats the Priuses "feel-no-evil" electric steering, which complements the "see-no-evil" instrumentation.
    They both will take you about 10 seconds to wheeze up to 60-mph, and over 17 seconds to go 1/4 of a mile. The Prius is much faster getting up to about 20-mph since there is an electric motor yanking you out of the hole, but the Corolla has a slightly better suspension.
    The Prius is classified as a midsize car, even though dimensionally it's pretty much the same as it's cousin. That's because it's a hatchback and there's no bulkhead (real or imagined) between the people compartment and the trunk. The Prius was a little bit roomier in the back, so if you have crumb-snatchers that could be as important to you as it was irrelevant for me.
    The new generation Corolla (14) actually looks like somebody tried to make it look more like an entry level Camary rather than an up-optioned Yaris, and I'm told that the interior is first rate for the segment.

If you're going to keep the car for over 100,000 miles there can be no doubt that the Prius will be cheaper to operate, even though the buy-in is a little bit more for the 2014, and a LOT more for a leftover 2013 Corolla, but this is another area where you're going to have to noodle out what trumps what. You can count on about a 10MPG delta between the two in your part of Florida, based on my 65,000 miles, and presuming you don't deliver the morning paper or try to drive like you've stolen the car.

Me?
    I'd try to get a deal for a leftover 13 Corolla...but my commute is three miles. I can literally take a golf cart to work.
    If I were going to keep the car for 200,000 miles the Prius is undoubtedly the champ.
    If I were going to keep the car for a few years and trade it out, I'd probably give the G11 Corolla a tumble.

Good Luck!
    Drive both and let us know what YOU think! :)

Chris S likes this.
  3. qdogfball

qdogfball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive a Corolla 2005 LE.

Wife drives 2009 Prius, has had Corolla , Ford Minivan, Mazda Protégé, Honda Accord, and Ford Fiesta.

She says nothing compares to the Prius (from her experience)

I cannot fit correctly in the Prius due to my torso being tall. I have to move the visor to be able to see when I drive it.

The Corolla, I barely fit and can barely see. I get around 32-36 MPG hwy, 25-29 City

I love the MPG and the gadgetry of Prius. Hate the vision and seats. Wife gets 48-51 MPG HWY, 52-56 City

If they would change the seating and vision capability (not going to happen , due to aerodynamics) I would trade in the Corolla in a minute!

4. Cjrciadt

Cjrciadt New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses! Came back from a quick visit to the local dealership. A few Prius two were available around $23k. The problem was the lowball trade in value for the 2011 LE. Will shop around for a while. I dont mind waiting till the 2014 is on its last legs, before the 4th gen is introduced next "spring or summer" .

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have a 11 S and a 10 Prius II. At this point, I would pick the Prius. The build quality is better and more cab room in the Prius or at least feels like it. I was disappointed in the S not being more "sportier" as wouldn't give it much more of an edge over the Prius.
    I will say I like the looks of the new gen rolla.
    Anyway, take your time. You are gonna lose your shorts not matter what. :)

6. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I traded a 2010 Corolla for a 2014 Prius. I loved the Corolla and was not unhappy with it. My needs changed and the Prius offered more of what I needed hence the switch. If my needs had not changed so dramatically, I would have kept the Corolla forever. Among my needs were more space and a climate controlled cargo area.

So I guess that's just a long way of saying it's just a matter of weighing out your individual needs and wants, and seeing how they compare.

7. qdogfball

qdogfball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do NOT use the Corolla as a "trade in"!!

Negotiate your price for the Prius separate from the Trade in.
    Then when you got the price you want, THEN ask about a trade for your Corolla.

Or even better, sell it yourself.