1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct Lug Nuts to install gen3 prius steel wheels to 2020 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by MarkL, Oct 29, 2020.

1. MarkL

MarkL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2020 Prius Prime and some older steel prius gen 3 rims with snow tires. I did some searching and sounds like the rims should be compatible, but when I went to change them, I realized the lug nuts are not compatible. Apparently, the Prime uses a different lug nut style than gen 3 prime. Does anyone know if I just need to get some Gen 3 lug nuts or if I need something different to make the old rims work on my new Prime?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have photo of Gen3 vs Prime lug nuts? I thought they are very similar if not identical. In what ways Prime lug nuts not compatible with Gen3 OEM alloy wheels?

Checking at ToyotaPartsDeal.com, although this site is not strictly Toyota managed site, both 2020 PRIME and 2014 Prius use the same lug nuts Lug NutsPart Number: 90942-01033 .

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, wait. You said steel prius gen 3 rims . Is this mean those are not OEM alloy wheels that came with Gen3? Or was there time when Gen3 came with steel wheels not the alloy wheels? Or did you buy steel wheels for Gen3 to be used for winter wheels? In either case, I would think you can still use the same lug nuts you used for Gen3 on PP. In case they are aftermarket steel wheels, you can buy any open end conical lug nuts like in the right side of the photo below. The left one is the OEM lug nut from 2017PP. I have tried PP's OEM lugnuts on my full size spare wheel I bought for my previous Gen3. It worked fine. Read my comment on this thread. GET YOUR DEDICATED SNOW TIRES NOW !!! | Page 12 | PriusChat

upload_2020-10-29_12-39-6.png

Tips likes this.
  4. MarkL

MarkL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I will get a photo up of what I am looking at. I think the photo you posted is the information I needed, but will verify with a follow up photo. The wheels are aftermarket cheap steel wheels with snow tires that I bought used on CL.

My challenge is every time I try to find the lug nuts online the conical ones say they are not compatible with Prius (since Prius factory uses a flat seat on their factory rims). My rims definetly have a conical seat. Looks like the most standard metric lug nut size is: "Open 12x1.5 Lug Nuts - Acorn Bulge, Conical Seat, 19mm or 3/4" Hex" - I'm just going to buy one from my FLAP and see if it fits right.

#4 MarkL, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still not sure what your are looking for, but the OEM mug seat lug nuts that came with the PRIME (left one on the photo above) has the conical end, and it will work on most aftermarket steel wheels that has conical seating. The conical end seating is bit small, but at least for spare tire use, it works fine. If you want more secure conical seating, then you can buy open end conical seating lug nuts 12mmx1.5 at almost any auto parts store or even at most hardware store. The one in the photo (right side) is this lug nuts purchased at Amazon. If you want Toyota OEM open end conical lug nuts, this will work. Toyota Part No.:90942-01007 (Type B in the diagram).