1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct Size OIL FILTER CAP WRENCH for 2007 ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 16, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I contacted several Toyota Dealers PARTS DEPT. as well as a few Internet sites and they ALL claim Toyota DOES NOT make a cap type OIL FILTER WRENCH for the 2007 Prius !! :angry:

In another forum post asking about how to change oil in a Prius, some people responded and suggested to use a cap-type filter wrench made out of "plastic" marketed by Valvoline, sold in WalMart.

I am a bit "leary" of this "plastic wrench", especially after hearing it sells for $2.69 and want to purchase a "real METAL" one, either stamped steel and plated like KD TOOLS makes or a cast aluminum one like ASSENMACHER SPECIALTY TOOLS makes:

http://www.asttool.com/search_results.php?...filter%20wrench

This company (Assenmacher) makes THREE sizes of TOYOTA cap wrenches:
    64mm 14 flats (#TOY640)
    73mm 14 flats (#TOY730)
    74mm 14 flats (#MO219)

Unfortunately their vehicle application listings only list 2001-2004 PRIUS and nothing for the 2005-2007.

The KD Tool cap wrench is 65mm (14 flats).

I have read many Prius owners complaining that the cap type wrench they purchased "slipped" the flutes of their oil filter, obviouisly being the wrong size (too large) for that Toyota Oil Filter. One person suggested I take an oil filter with me to the auto parts store and try it... an excellent suggestion, only the Assenmacher Specialty Tools cast aluminum cap wrenches are mainly available through internet.... :(

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go to the local parts store and manually size a wrench to the replacement filter, you will then have a model/part number to cross reference to match up to the brand you want to buy online.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought my (perfectly fitting) wrench from the local dealer, Haley Toyota. I figured it was a Toyota item, but based on your legwork, apparently not. Regardless, maybe they can point you in the right direction to get one of what they sell, or perhaps even ship one to you.

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 16 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]443218[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, this is a great idea, except I have not purchased a Toyota oil filter yet (but SOON will) and believe it or not, we have not even picked up our new 2007 Prius Touring (pkg. 5) yet. It has left port (Jacksonville, FL) yesterday and on it's way to Tampa. They expect it to be delivered to them today (Wednesday) or tomorrow (Thursday). We are planning to pick it up if (if all goes as expected) on Friday morning (Wife takin' off a "sick day") and go crusin' around all day in it to "break-in" as well as have some fun. Okay, back to the OIL FILTER WRENCH.........
    Usually the KD Tools are "bubble/blister packed" and with the "fluted side" :angry: packed toward the inside of the package....
    I plan to order a genuine Toyota Oil Filter, Drain Plug Gasket and a set of genuine Toyota rubber Floor Mats this weekend (after we actually take vehicle delivery) from an Toyota Parts internet source.
    With my '03 Acura MDX I had NO PROBLEM getting a genuine Honda Oil Filter cap-type wrench from A & H MotorSports (Acura/Honda Internet Parts Dealer) along with a few oil filters, etc. This turned out to also fit (same oil filter) an '04 CR-V we bought the next year. YOU, being a "gearhead" like me and actually way above that being a "racer", can understand this.... for years Honda used Toko-Riki as their OEM Oil Filter supplier (A01 on end of P/N) and then these new, actually lighter in weight (yes, you could "feel" the difference) new A02's came into Honda/Acura parts. No more A01's !! Turns out the A02's were a new "contract" Honda had with <barf> FRAM..... yep, real junk, element was 1/2 the density, fibre and plastic bypass instead of metal, etc. real junk, so I immediately changed to WIX a very, very good filter in my opinion !! But get this............ the "flutes" on the Wix were SLIGHTLY smaller than the OEM Honda's were so I used one of those rubber "jar grippers" (about 1/16" thick) shoved into the Honda wrench to take up the slack.
    I DON'T want to have to play "shim games" with our new "Prius" Oil Filter and especially if there is restricted clearance while trying to hand-tighten the NEW filter on, I might (as I usually do) gently use the cap wrench to (I said gently !!) tighten ON the new filter that 2/3 - 3/4 turn after initial gasket contact.

NOW........ I value your professional opinion....... what would you consider "BREAK-IN" for the '07 PRIUS, that is HOW MANY MILES would you leave in the "break-in-OIL"..... 600 ?? 1000 ?? I always used MOBIL1 in my vehicles and will continue to do the same for this new Prius. Like I said, have NOT taken posession of the new Prius yet, but just "gettin' ready"..... that 1000 miles (or 600?) will come in a week or two !! I know that "break-in" OIL should NOT be taken out too soon nor should it be left in too long.... I heard it has extra "suspension agents" in it to encapsulate any microscopic metal shavings that "fall" or "wear" off in a brand new engine.

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 16 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]443221[/snapback]</div>
    This is what a local (Florida) Toyota Dealer PARTS Dept. wrote me just a few minutes ago:
    Our techs use tools purchased from the mobile tool vendors, I checked with a couple and they use a universal type wrench that can be purchased from an auto parts store, Sears etc.

This particular dealer sells a lot of their parts and accessories on eBay.............. prices are good but not great, the good thing is that they are 25 miles away from me and I could have them "waive" all shipping charges if I picked items up in person. But like I said, prices (compared to other Internet Toyota Parts) are just so-so............... especially after inflated shipping added on !! At least he is helpful and gets back to me with answers to questions I ask him :) !!

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just called Assenmacher Specialty Tools and asked a person there if they had a more updated listing on vehicle applications, or, do they KNOW which of the three oil filter cap wrenches will properly fit the 2007 Toyota Prius ??
    http://www.asttool.com/search_results.php?...filter%20wrench
    64mm
    73mm
    74mm
    Unfortunately, they could NOT help me and did NOT know the "measurements" between the flats of the "flutes" of the 2007 PRIUS OIL FILTER !!
    Like I said, I have NOT purchased a new Toyota Oil Filter as of yet, so it is IMPOSSIBLE for ME to measure this......
    Any Engineers (or anyone) out there with a vernier and a Prius (2007) Oil Filter ????
    :blink:

7. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 16 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]443240[/snapback]</div>
    Relax, chill.

You won't need an oil filter wrench until you get 4,500 miles or so on your new Prius.

Pick up some oil filters at the dealer when you take delivery of your car. Don't forget a supply of crush washers for the oil drain plug. It's good to get these at the dealer, as it helps document the fact that you are changing the oil, for warranty purposes.

Take an oil filter to your local NAPA or other auto parts store, and have them match up a filter cup wrench for you.

Harry

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ May 16 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]443327[/snapback]</div>
    In my Acura's (TL & MDX) as well as Honda's (2 Accord EX's and CR-V) they suggested getting the "break-in oil" out just before 5,000 miles and putting on a new oil filter, naturally a new crush gasket on the drain plug, and fresh new "regular" (non-break-in) motor oil. That is when I changed oil on those vehicles and started using MOBIL1.
    :blink: Somehow I thought (since this is my first Toyota, and first Hybrid) that Toyota wanted to change "break-in" oil way before that.... around 1,000 miles (or less ??)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ May 16 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]443327[/snapback]</div>
    I usually buy the FIRST Oil Filter directly from the vehicle selling dealer as you suggested... as far as the crush washers, I usually get two, just in case I "drop" one and it rolls to some obscure location in the garage (which I never did yet). Honda aluminum crush washers are 22 cents each. I just bought a bag of 20 from my local Honda dealer. Since we will soon be down to just the '04 CR-V and no more '03 MDX :( this supply should last me quite a long time for the Honda. I definitely will buy specific Toyota drain plug gaskets (about 80 cents each) for the Prius. Curious though.... WHY are these so expensive ?? Are they more than just an aluminum ring like the Honda ?? Do they have a nylon (delron?) seal on them like the GM washers do ?? I guess I'll soon see....

Yes, that is exactly what I planned to do. KD makes some wierd 65/67mm cap-wrench, I might look into a Lisle. Did you look at the link to Assenmacher Specialty Tools I posted ?? They make a really nice "cast" aluminum cap-wrench but THEIRS is 64mm....and it's listed for early (Generation 1) Prius. I wonder if that 1mm "tighter" fit will be a "better" (or correct) fit for my '07 ?? Isn't 1mm equal to .039" ??

9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

65mm is correct, 14 flute. The valvoline I got at walmart for $2.69 is a very good one for fit and strength, and is made in USA. I would buy it over a metal one.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ May 16 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]443597[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: I just got a little panicy because I read on another thread in PC that someone has a "plastic" cap-type oil filter wrench and tried to remove a "stuck-on" (initial factory torqued) Prius Oil Filter and the wrench "sheared" at the 3/8" square socket shaft hole. Another (same thread) had to "cut" a notch in the outside diameter of their "plastic" wrench to make it "smaller" and used a "radiator clamp" AROUND IT to tighten it down on the Prius Oil Filter to get a proper "grip"....
    I haven't been to WalMart yet but I am anxious to go and see IF they have that wrench down here in Florida WalMarts ????
    Just out of curiousity, do you use "synthetic" motor OIL (like Mobil1) in your Prius ??

11. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

It seems of quite strong material and has good thickness, and has a metal drive insert. I can't see I would break it ever on a filter. I removed my old original filter easily, and it doesn't mar the new filter. For $3 I thought it was good product. I put in 5-30 semi syn for now, barely driven the car yet 1200 miles in over two months. I do want an oil protecting from sludge and varnish, so will likely go full synth, but need to do more research. All the SM oils are probably good enough in reality. it isn't a highly stressed engine with 76hp. I looked at the Toyota oil at the dealer for $2.65/qt, but saw no mention of synthetics on the bottle. The forums are great for sharing info. I never would have known many things about the car otherwise. Since it takes less than four quarts I may do what many others are and use the mobil 1.

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ May 16 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]443662[/snapback]</div>
    Like I said, haven't picked up the vehicle yet, but I guess 5W-30 is the recommended oil for the '07 Toyota Prius. The '03 Acura MDX as well as the '04 Honda CR-V used only 5W-20. I have used MOBIL1 (synthetic) even before these two vehicles, in my 2000 Acura 3.2TL as well. I like the fact that in HIGH TEMPS. (like here in Florida) Synthetic Motor Oil does NOT "sludge up" as fossil oils do when they get "old" !!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ May 16 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]443662[/snapback]</div>
    MOBIL1 is not cheap, and runs about $5.50 or more per quart, but in the long run it actually saves a little bit more fuel too, well at least in a "conventional" gasoline engine vehicle !! ALL these vehicles that I used MOBIL1 in always took an "odd" quantity of oil...... like 4.4 qts., or 4.6 qts, NEVER an "even quartage" (such a word?) so I always had an "open", half-filled container, ready for the next oil/filter change. With the MOBIL1 I would STILL go about 5,000 miles between changes.... some say ridiculous, but we are talking an average (Do-It-Yourself) Oil/Filter Change would cost me around $35..... now how much is a new engine ??

13. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. Peter Senich

Peter Senich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently purchased the KD Tool 65MM end cap oil filter wrench (part#KDS3253). It seems to fit quite well.

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ May 16 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]443717[/snapback]</div>
    :D THANKS for the information, greatly appreciated.......
    Look real close at the "enlarged" photo and you will see KD stamped on that NAPA wrench atop the "hex" part. Even the number 3253 is an exact KD number............
    Again, THANKS !! ;)

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A nice feature of the KD/NAPA 3253 is in addition to having the standard 3/8" drive ratchet square hole, it also has a provision to use a 1" socket. While it might be the most expensive 65mm end-cap wrench to fit the OEM Toyota oil filter, it also seems to be a good example of 'you get what you pay for'.

The problem with the cheaper end-cap wrenches (particularly the plastic ones) is although they'll work on an oil filter that was put one with 'normal' force, I seriously question how well they'd work if the oil filter was put on with the strength of an assembly-line gorilla (do they have those in Japan?).

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter Senich @ May 16 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]443728[/snapback]</div>
    :) THANKS for your information too......... actually the KD is the exact same wrench that "rudiger" spoke of in post #13 that has a NAPA re-brand package. Either one will work fine.........
    THANKS again for the help, greatly appreciated !! ;)

18. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 16 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]443735[/snapback]</div>

Floridawen: Did you ever change your oil & which wrench did you end up getting?

19. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ Jun 4 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]454965[/snapback]</div>
    I actually purchased a NAPA (KD) "end cap" wrench as we discussed and a new (Craftsman) six point 14mm socket (for the oil pan drain plug) as well as a new, genuine Toyota Oil Filter and Drain Plug Gasket (strangest fibre/aluminum crush gasket I have ever seen). As of this writing we only have under 600 miles on the Prius, so it will be a while before I actually do the change........... next will be the purchase of MOBIL1 5W-30.......... kinda looking out for a "sale" (usually goes down to $4.88 qt.) and I will grab a couple of 6-packs. I still need to keep buying 5W-20 for the Honda CR-V which is a lot harder to get (on sale) than 5W-30 !! With the Wife putting on about 60 miles a day and another 100 miles each weekend, it will probably be about seven or eight more weeks.............. ;)

20. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 4 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]455043[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. I just grabbed 1 also from NAPA.
    No 1k break in oil change for you?

btw, if you are interested in a very good synth alternative to M1, try Pennzoil Platinum IF it is on sale around $2.50/qt.
    BITOG ppl love the results so far.