1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct way to route EBH cable from engine to body?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just saw this comment on hobbit's site:
    3rd-gen block heater
    :eek: I didn't know that! I asked how much slack is need and then comes this depressing reply from FireEngineer:
    :eek: I don't remember putting in even a few millimeters of slack!

I took apart the cowl tray one more time and looked at the routing of the cable from the engine to the car body. To my comfort it looks like I had routed the cable following a somewhat flexible rubber hose from the engine to the body but I would like confirmation. Do I have enough slack? Please take a look at the pictures and advise. Thanks!

Starting from the engine side, I can't even see the plug anymore - no idea how I installed it before. Here is what I could see: the cable (#2) is tied to a rubber hose (#1), which in turn is connected to a metal pipe that seems to come off the engine (maybe for engine coolant?):
    [​IMG]

Following the hose along:
    [​IMG]

Here the rubber hose enter the body (#1). The cable (#2) bends away from the hose and eventually is tied to the rigid pipes (#3) for the brake fluid:
    [​IMG]
    Shot from another angle:
    [​IMG]

Another thing I wonder is whether joining the cable and the hose together is a bad thing because now the bundle of the two is less flexible?

Please comment. Thanks! :)

P.S. I have added a bit more slack since the pictures were taken such that the cable follow the hose a bit closer.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would agree that the power cord needs to have some slack so that as the engine moves on its mounts, you are not stressing the wires that lead to the EBH. It appears that you've used a few nylon cable ties to secure the cord. Is it a big problem for you to cut off those ties, provide the needed slack, then install new ties?

If you do not do so, don't be surprised if the EBH fails prematurely due to a wire pulling out of the heater body.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes that's what I did. Here is a set of "after" pictures. I thought as long as the cable has the same amount of bending as the rubber hose does it should be OK. Please let me know if the cable needs even more slack than that. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good.

1 person likes this.