1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corrected P1116. And Then...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sharpshin, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sharpshin

sharpshin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks in part to a lot of the posts here, I bled my coolant system in an effort to get rid of error code P1116. (Yes, my car has had some front end work done in its lifetime).

I wasn't sure if the "Check Engine" light would go away after going through the process of if it needed to be reset with a scan tool. I went ahead and did the reset via tool.

Was this the right decision or should I have let the car determine if the light should go off?

Regardless, I suppose that I'll find out if my efforts failed in due time if the light happens to come back on.

Thanks,
    John

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi John,

If your car logs a trouble code, then you take remedial action that you believe will correct the issue, it is reasonable to clear the code (which means the CEL will go off) to see if the code will return.

3. sharpshin

sharpshin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, Patrick. The light is back so it's back to the drawing board for me.

-John

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi John,

DTC P1116 Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Stack for Coolant Heat Storage System

The trouble areas are either the CHS tank temperature sensor, or clogging in the cooling system. Since you say the car was in a front-end accident I suggest that you carefully inspect the CHS tank (located near the front of the driver's side fender) and the sensor and replace any physically damaged parts.