1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correctly figuring MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bea2006, May 1, 2006.

1. bea2006

bea2006 New Member

In anticipation of my new Prius, I would like to know how to figure MPG. What are the steps? Is there a specific thread on this? Thanks...Bea

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides reading it off the screen? Just divide Miles / Gallons.
    Use one of the tripmeters to keep track of per-tank mileage -- I
    use "B" for "bladder", easy to remember. Write down what it says
    when you fill up, and write down how many gallons you pumped in.
    Reset the tripmeter before you take off. Keep doing that, and you'll
    develop your "non-MFD" average, which you'll probably find to be a
    little lower than what the MFD says long-term.
    Note that one tank's reading this way isn't good for much, since you
    can't really get an accurately repeatble fill in a Prius. Keep
    taking those averages tank by tank; it'll work out over time.
    _H*

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know in my 05, the consumption screen resets after a fillup, so you could just use that. I actually have a program though for my pocket pc that keeps track of every fillup since day 1.

4. bea2006

bea2006 New Member

Thanks for the help. Bea

5. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the most meaningful MPG I try to fill up at the same station. This way any effects from traveling up hill, down hill, into the wind, etc. will be minimized. Therefor my mpg reflects my driving style.
    p.s.- keep your tire pressure up as well

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is complicated at best. The "bladder" in the tank makes for inconsistent fill ups. Single tank mpg are help full to determine trends but I think you should use 3 or 4 tank averages to reflect the progress of your results. The final arbiter is your Life Time Average.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< OLD "TRIED & TRUE" method...

The onboard computers are variable... good immediate and periodic "guesses" - HOWEVER -

Over an extended period, all things considered, Miles traveled divided by the Gasolene pumped. I find that the onboard computer's figures tend to be a bit optimistic, averaging 3% to 5% high compared to Miles/Gallons. Various pumps, temperatures, "bladder stretching and stiffness", etc. will all be averaged out over time. For 18 months of use, majority short "in town" trips, I have averaged 40.839 MPG overall at a cost for fuel of 5.41¢/mile. If "Bragging" on exceptional MPGs was my thing, I could simply only report the unusually great results... or "make it up." But then, I could legitimately report 54.6 MPG cruising freeway at 75 MPH on cruise control, with spurts to 80+ MPH to pass slower traffic. OR... 33.325 MPG on one "fill" when the pump failed to shut off and I had "gas on the ground."

8. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 10 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]253149[/snapback]</div>
    I had to laugh, at first I was going to leave out my miserable SF information from the signature area, not that one has to put anything, but then I really wanted to make the statement that there's a whole lot of folks who don't live in 'optimum' situations that could still benefit from the Prius. We sold two cars and bought the prius after we discovered the joy of using SF Muni and BART. LOL ... joy is subjective, eh?

My lifetime is like 39.41 mpg, however, I just did the valley check up on the rentals trip thing, and a round trip of 50.97 mpg cruising at mostly 77 mph fully loaded with gardening gear. So I guess I'm trying to point out we all got the same car but different environments, and on the same road we'd all have the same sphere of High MPG, but we don't, and it's fun to check in and know that folks in the valleys of America (or the world) are doing there thing, and us poor blokes in the hills, even little bitty SF hills, are trying our hardest but loving it anyway.

Prius Hoooo... !
    b

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ May 10 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]253270[/snapback]</div>
    On the hills in SF! I would say you are doing great. Some of the folks that live and work close to downtown Seattle have the same problem.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 10 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]253149[/snapback]</div>
    There you go again, calling those whose driving technics are superior to your liars. It is getting old, tired and obnoxious.