1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corrosion of rear subframe mounting and front suspension arm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GT4Prius, Jul 21, 2016.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Have just had my 2007 Prius MOT'd (compulsory annual check in the UK for cars over 3 years old).

It passed, but with the following advisory information:

1. Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive nearside rear [2.4.A.3]
    2. Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive offside rear [2.4.A.3]
    3. Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened nearside front [2.4.G.1]
    4. Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened offside front [2.4.G.1]

Tester says nothing to worry about. Not sure why this has suddenly appeared this year - wasn't said last year at test by same tester.

Questions:
    a. Presumably the Suspension Arm is replaceable, but is the rear subframe?
    b. Presumably there's nothing much that can be done except for maybe cleaning it up and applying wayoyl or similar, but not sure how long that would last and sounds like an unpleasant job!
    c. Anyone ever actually had these parts fail due to corrosion, and if so at what age and mileage? (Mine has done about 90,000.

2. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been looking at the undersides of Hondas for over 35 years, never seen serious corrosion on suspension components. I was a bit dismayed to see what was going on with our 2010 Prius suspension: lots of rust blooming. Weld zones in particular. And bolts, some pretty bad. I've heard here that the bolt coatings are not as good as in the past, due to tighter environmental/health regs?

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've heard of a lot of rusty prius, but never any failing parts due to rust, iirc. i would ignore.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out the thread, 'any under-carriage rust from winter road salt?' by 'ski.dive'. there are probably some other threads as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.