1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Corrosion protection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by willow, Dec 23, 2005.

1. willow

willow New Member

In making arrangements for the upcoming delivery of our 2006 Prius, one of the dealer's reps told us that Toyota has taken all corrosion protection off its cars, underneath as well as the paint. True? And if so, is it worth the $1,600 they're proposing to do it for? Actually, it was offered as a make a decision right now or forget it. Sounded suspicious so we turned it down.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Never heard of. And ask them why Toyota remove corrosion protection from their cars? So they can ruin their reputation? :rolleyes: Better yet, say if Toyota really did that, you are getting a Honda. OR call up Toyota and asked if that's true and tell them that your dealer said so.

3. cdavid

cdavid Member

I want that guy's name.

I bet you Toyota corporate will want his name too.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Honda offers a 5yr/Unlimited mile corrosion warranty on new cars......same as Toyota. Better cough up that $1600. :rolleyes:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes. that's a hefty price for something they provide a WARRANTY to cover... :rolleyes:

good car care will keep you from having trouble in the future. wash regularly and all that jazz.

the only corrosion problem DH has EVER seen was on a 2001 RAV4 that had such corroded alignment adjusters they had seized up. had to replace the adjusters and some surrounding parts that had all fused together. separating fused grade 8 steel doesn't happen easily, even with a 20-ton press working on your side. but the owners were from way up north and rarely, RARELY washed their car. i think they didn't get alignments on a regular basis either, they didn't know if they'd ever had one done.

even in northern states like WI most cars will not get so bad they require new parts due to corrosion. we had a camry that lasted 14 years in WI and all bolts under the car were removable if necessary.

good choice, turning that down. waste of money.

6. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    trust me
    that guy is pulling your chain......he just wants an extra $1600 out of ya.....
    and as far as honda ( yes i still have one) it still doesnt beat the prius.....thats y toyota (not honda) is the #2 car maker in the world........& soon to be #1 with the demise of gm
    i think the toyo guard is the comparable program......i didnt get it....didnt need it...... save your money & get zaino..........if u have a problem with corrosion......it will still be under warranty! :eek: