1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost Benefit Analysis of Buying/Not Buying the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sdstratton, Mar 20, 2005.

1. sdstratton

sdstratton New Member

I continue to see cost-benefit analyses of buying (or not) a Prius. The benefits are typically stated as cost savings, green machine, and quality. The Prius costs are typically stated as a car that is more expensive to buy than a comparable standard engine car like the Prism.

Seems to me that the cost argument is clear...the Prius is more expensive than a comparable standard car of the same class. But, and this is a big BUT, my experience has been that those of us who are buying the Prius are trading in far more expensive and bigger cars to make that purchase.

My financial manager, for example, traded in his BMW 700 for a Prius. I think we can all agree that the Prius costs will be less than that gas guggling behemoth. My wife, for another example, traded in her Lexus 300 for our Prius. So instead of $800 per maintenance visit, she now pays $500 per visit...with far fewer visits at that. :p

Bottom line, I think analysts who think the "comparable" standard car is the basis for analyzing comparative costs are overlooking the possibility that most new Prius buyers are actually trading in big gas guzzling, non-green cars when we make that purchase. In which case, the "more expensive" argument flies out the window.

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgive me for asking but what is the year of your wife's Prius and what sort of maintance caused the $500 bill per visit?

3. LisaMurray

LisaMurray New Member

For me, it seems to be a favorable cost/benefit. I'm trading in a Honda Pilot, which gets about 19 mpg. Based on my remaining payments, trade-in value, and balance financed, my monthly payments will be about the same. The insurance increase is about $50/year. So I would say that the gas savings will definitely put me in a favorable cash flow, especially since I will be starting a new job soon that will have me commuting 100 miles/day :pukeleft: .

Edit: After posting this, I found an interesting web site, www.fueleconomy.gov (sponsored by the US Dept of Energy) where you can enter your year, make, and model and you'll get various statistics on gas consumption. In comparing my 2003 Pilot to the 2005 Prius, there figures show that I stand to save $1100 a year (at current prices) in gas. Yea, I'd say that's a favorable cost benefit!

4. tim_in_jax

tim_in_jax New Member

I have always had a problem with analyst who make the Prius-to-NonPrius comparisons for the reason that the prius is "So" much more expensive. Even the dealer I bought my car at tried to talk me into getting a Max out Corrolla instead of a prius ( little did he know that I walked on the lot knowing exactly what I wanted and nothing that he said was going to change that, persistance pays off ). Even attempted to spurt numbers at me to prove how it would take years for the Prius gas mileage saving to pay off financially. With the amount of miles that I drive in a year to and from work ( around 50000) the Prius' gas savings would have recouped the $6,000 premium from not getting a Corolla. Something that thier equation misses is that even with a maxed Prism or Corolla, you will still be short features that come standard on a Prius.

5. fred

fred New Member

i always have a problem with the cost compaison with a "comparable" car. what car would that be??? there is no comparable car that im aware of. its the only one of its type in reality. so maybe its underpriced... let me get a little nuts for a second (most of you agree i can do that quite often) is a ferrari more expensive than a comparble car?? what comparable car??well, if thats the case why do some old "over priced copared to others" bring in over a million dollars and yes some of them do go for 10 to 20 times their original "too expensive compared to others" price. i can understand but not agree with people who arent impressed with the looks, the mileage, the power etc but i do not understand the "when compared to others" statement. whewww i think i feel better now good air in bad air out.... :wink: :wink:

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The classic Prius might be comparable to a corolla, or its cousin the Geo Prism, but the 04/05 is more the size of a camry.

When you want to compare values of houses, you start with a house that closest compares, then adds or subtracts values of features that make the houses dissimilar.

7. Torf

Torf New Member

The "Comparable Car" is the one that you would be getting if you weren't getting the Prius.

For me it would be a used 2003-04 Dodge Stratus V6.

When I ran the numbers based on my personnal driving habits, and best expectations, I found a break-even point at around $2.10 a gallon.
    Above that, the Prius starts saving me money INCLUDING the purchase price.

Sure, the cars aren't perfectly comparable, but they were the two choices I had. I'd be an idiot if I didn't make any comparison.

BTW - I have a Prius #4 or order...

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically it would be cheaper to get your $10,000 Honda Civic. You would only save about $500 a yr with a Prius so would take about 34 years to break even.

But a lot of us get the Prius more than to just save cash. The only other thing I do is a little bit of recycling (cans, bottles, cardboard, and newspapers - drop off point is near my work) for the environment so I figure this is a good way to help the environment and have a nice car (win-win situation). Personally, I went from a F250 to a Prius and my wife had an old Honda Civic (which she managed to beat into the ground so time for a new car).

9. sdstratton

sdstratton New Member

Not to panic, Canuck :p ...the $500 per maintenance visit for my Prius was strictly a guesstimate. I haven't had my Prius in for repairs yet; so I have no clue, save for other Toyotas I've owned, what it will cost.

In any case, the point is that the Lexus costs half again to twice what I've experienced with Toys for repair maintenance; so I presume that will hold for the Prius as well.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I didn't do a cost analysis when I bought my '04 prius. I was in the position to help support new and upcoming technology which I hope(d) would someday enable all beings who breathe air to reap the benefits of. I was further pushed over the line by the political unstability that oil causes and purchased in hopes that this new technology would more rapidly advance a changeover to a non-dino method of propulsion. In my mind, even if the Prius "wastes" a few thousand dollars which I can never recoup, the social good I support far outweighs the extra dollars I spent. As it turns out, my idealism does have a payback in dollars, and so much the better, but it is just an unexpected bonus. I'm not a trust funder, and don't earn a lot, but do believe we have the capacity to help others with no expectation of reward. Hell, I even volunteer at non-profits.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? Simple. The Prius doesn't have a non-hybrid version to compare and since they can do that with the Hondas and Fords, they want to do the same for the Prius to show that Prius owners are paying a premium. So, let's suppose we GIVE them a comparison.

Base Prius: Cdn$30,000
    HSD Premium: let's approx at $5k (given that's the premium for the RX400h)

So bottom line price would be $25k exactly the same as a base Camry LE. Suppose we substitute the 1.5 litre for a 2.0 litre since that's the comparison a Japanese spokesperson for Toyota said it's comparable to.

Now, given that the price is similar, let's compare features & specs. The Prius would be down in power (2.0litre vs. 2.4 litre) but would be more efficient then. Auto A/C, cargo net, alloys, Cd of .26 (Camry's .28 ), same cargo size, a bit narrower than the Camry, push button start, hatchback versatility and it compares favourably. Add in the options and it favours the Prius even more since those features would cost more on the Camry.

So, given that, technically, it would be to the naysayer's disadvantage if they DID have a car to compare the Prius to.

My 'comparable' car was a top-of-the-line Corolla LE (minus TCS/VSC and JBL audio since we don't get them as options in Canada). Am I paying a premium? I don't think any more of a premium that sports car owners pay for for hp bragging rights except that our mileage bragging rights are really starting to tick some people off :p

12. Bigsk8r

Bigsk8r New Member

This whole discussion is quite interesting. The people that are doing the "comparing" seem to forget that not everyone who buys the car has a "standard" reason. There are those who do it for Patriotism (reduce reliance on the Middle East), Greenism (reduce overall emissions and waste) and some for the cool factor (as Widdletink said "Ultimate in Geek Bling").

However, some of us (including the guy with the Prius Taxi) are doing this as a business investment. My Prius company car gets 20 MPG better than its predecessor (2000 Bonneville). It also has a tax write off and the $500 a month payment is paid by my S-Corp and comes straight off the bottom line. So, it is the ultimate in tax shelter AND money not flowing out of my pocket into a gas station cash register.

As so many of you have already stated "where is the comparable car?"

Answer: Hopefully on Toyotas drawing board for '08 or '09!

Larry

13. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Nice web site Lisa! I compared my old car and my wife's old car to our new Priusi....It looks like we'll be saving about $1,700 per year on gas!

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I may find it eventually, but so far I can't get fueleconomy.gov to accept my 47MPG average to make the savings comparison more accurate. My 1999 Kia Sephia would have cost less than $1,000 extra dollars in gas, but that's using the EPA MPG figures for the Prius which I don't make, against the EPA figures for the Kia which are almost dead-on. Must be I'm saving a lot less than $1,000...

15. gjr3

gjr3 Junior Member

Thanks MarinJohn for:

I didn't do a cost analysis when I bought my '04 prius. I was in the position to help support new and upcoming technology which I hope(d) would someday enable all beings who breathe air to reap the benefits of. I was further pushed over the line by the political unstability that oil causes and purchased in hopes that this new technology would more rapidly advance a changeover to a non-dino method of propulsion. In my mind, even if the Prius "wastes" a few thousand dollars which I can never recoup, the social good I support far outweighs the extra dollars I spent. As it turns out, my idealism does have a payback in dollars, and so much the better, but it is just an unexpected bonus. I'm not a trust funder, and don't earn a lot, but do believe we have the capacity to help others with no expectation of reward. Hell, I even volunteer at non-profits.

I will be getting my Prius within the next two weeks and couldn't agree more- it's not only about the $$.

gjr

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Cost benefit/analysis? How about straight emotion? As humans I think our emotions get the best of us...100% of the time...'cause we are human and have emotions. I first fell in love with the technology and the way you start the car and the smart key and the great feeling when driving it. It appealed to my senses, looked good, sounded good (quiet), felt good (smooth 'no-shift'). I know many will ask what's that worth to ya, put a price tag on it...but I say it isn't tangible to put a dollar amount on. I love this car and that's how I chose it. I love my SO, that's how I chose her. Neither one did I do a cost benefit/analysis. Just make it happen. And , yes, so far as choices are concerned, both my SO and Prius are reaping wonderful benefits that have NOTHING to do with $. My 2 cents worth...

17. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Why does everyone want to compare a Prius to the cheapest junkbox on the road when they do these comparisons? I replaced my Audi A4 with my 05 Prius, and actually the Prius is bigger inside and is better optioned. True, it doesn't have wood trim and the seats aren't quite as nice but the Prius is clearly not an entry level car.

Anyway, my Prius gets about 25 mpg better that the typical car of it's size. (50 vs 25 for my last car). That's a 2 gallon savings for every 100 miles. , or about 200 gallon savings for every 10,000 miles. At $2 per gallon you save about $400 per 10000 miles on fuel. If you assume a $4000 extra cost for the hybrid drivetrain it will take 100,000 miles to break even. Of course if fuel prices rise, the payback becomes shorter.
    Lots of other costs are still unknowns. what will a new battery pack cost in 8 years? What is the long term resale value if the next gen hybrid is even better?

The bottom line is that it's likely that if all you are looking for is the cheapest overall way to get from here to there the Prius isn't the option. You can find a used civic for $500.

If you are looking for a really nice car that seat 5, has lots of cool options, is really cheap to operate, helps reduce our dependance on foreign oil, and produces way less emmissions than almost every other car on the road, there is no better car than the Prius.

18. sdstratton

sdstratton New Member

Narf,

Exactly my point...and why I started this thread...many, if not most, of the people who buy the Prius are replacing big, gas guzzling, smog belching, and expensive cars...like the BMW and Lexus I referenced earlier. So the issue of cost-benefit is not one of how does the Prius compare to comparable cars (whatever they might be), but how does it compare to the gas guzzling, non-green behemoth that it replaces. And that, I believe, is a no brainer. :guns:

19. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I sold my 1999 F-150 with 112,000 miles on it for 9000 dollars. It got 15 MPG lifetime average. It would have been due for several semi-major repairs in the next 4 years. I drive 28,000 miles per year. The truck required 500 in brakes and 500 in tires every two years.

In four years the truck would have cost around 5000 dollars in maintainance, 15000 dollars in gas at 2 dollars a gallon, and 8000 dollars in depreciation. Total=28,000 dollars.

In four years the Prius will cost me 1500 dollars in maintainance, 4300 dollars in gas, and 14000 in depreciation. Total = 19,800 dollars

During the next four years, I will be driving a new, safe, fun, quick, easy to park, technotoy, instead of an old ford truck, and save 8,200 dollars. If gas prices continue to rise, the savings will, of course be greater. The cost of financing will be just about covered by a 600 dollar savings on taxes.

Four more years will result in the entire purchase price of the Prius recovered by gas and maintainance savings. Your math may vary.