1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost benefits of Highlander hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jkash, Jan 24, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my colleagues is considering a purchase of a Highlander next summer. He knows of my interest in the Prius, and had some questions about the Highlander hybrid. He drives 50,000 miles a year almost all of it very easy freeway miles. He plans to put at least 350,000 miles on any vehicle he has. Now for the questions:
    1. What is the mpg difference between the hybrid and the regular Highlander?
    2. How long will the engine last? It needs to go at least 350,000 miles.
    3. Will the hybrid battery last for the length of the time he has the car? If not, how much will it cost to replace?
    4. Given these facts and questions, does the hybrid make economic sense? What is the bottom line on driving of these vehicles.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Cost benefits of Highlander hbrid

That's a lot of miles, he'll clearly save a lot of money if he needs an SUV for the kind of work he does.

No one knows for sure since EPA testing hasn't been done. I think one can safely assume the hybrid will get around 30mpg.

No reason to think the engine (ICE) wouldn't last that long--probably would have less wear and tear on it than a non-hybrid vehicle. The electric motors would probably last that long since they're minimally mechanical compared to the ICE. The battery may not make it all that time and need to be replaced, but almost any vehicle is going to have some major component replaced by the time you get to 350K miles.

Again, nobody knows for sure...they've been known to last over 200K miles in the Prius. Replacement cost is hard to say, I think it's a much larger battery than in the Prius so that may make it more expensive, but, by the time he's out of warranty (~3 years from now@ 50K miles/year) they will be being made in larger quantities and thus we should see some price drop. It would likely last him much more than 3 years and thus the price could be lower yet. In any case, it can't be more than a transmission or any other major component just as likely to expire post-warranty in a non-hybrid vehicle.

In his case, with that many miles, he'd probably recoup the difference in cost compared to a gas version in much less than 2 years and then would begin saving money in the years beyond that. Considering the environmental impact, the fact that it will have more power than the traditional, considering he'll feel better about himself, I'd say it's a very good choice in his circumstances.

Thanks,

Jeff[/quote]

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Jeff,

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as many of the folks here (probably most!) but I'll set forth a few considerations:

1) Your colleague's time frame may be important. You mentioned he was considering an HL next summer (I assume that's Summer of 2004?). If these things follow the pattern of the 04 Prius, he may not even be able to get an HH until well into 2005. Is he willing to play the kind of waiting game we're playing with our cars?

2) The regular Highlander comes in a variety of flavors. Not only does one have to choose between Fwd and AWD but, also, one has to choose whether to get the 4cyl or 6cyl. FWIW, several reviews I've read indicated the 2005 HH will get high 20's to low 30's in terms of mpg (depends on the reviewer; Edmunds says 'over 28 mpg combined'). That's a big improvement but it certainly is not earth shattering considering the EPA estimates for the 04 Highlanders are:

18/24 mpg: 6cyl, AWD
    21/25 mpg: 4cyl, AWD
    22/27 mpg: 4cyl, Fwd
    19/25 mpg: 6cyl, Fwd

So, it doesn't appear as if the regular 4cyl Highlander is going to do a whole lot worse, mpg-wise, than the 6cyl hybrid. OTOH, I would expect the difference in price to be substantial (below).

3) In terms of price, there is going to be a LOT of room to negotiate a really good price on regular Highlanders this summer. Actually, there's room now as buyers, generally, appear to be getting at least a couple of grand off MSRP. I can't imagine where 2005 HH buyers will be getting anything off MSRP for quite some time.

Just my .0158995 Euros

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info Evan and Tag. I have printed what you wrote and will deliver to my colleague Monday morning.

Jeff

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the only version of the Hybrid that is going to be released - 6 cyl, AWD.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, AFAIK, that will be the only version of the HH.

My point was that the plain vanilla 4cyl Highlander models (either Fwd or AWD) were two models in which Jeff's friend might be interested. Since he's planning on buying in the summer, he'll probably be able to get a great deal.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Here's some fuel for the fire:

I just configured a 6cyl AWD Highlander Limited with every conceivable option on Carsdirect. MSRP was around $40,750 but the Carsdirect price was $36,396 (about $550 over invoice). That's one whopping discount off sticker.

Thus, questions that burn in my mind are:

1) Will Toyota cease production of the non-hybrid 6cyl AWD Highlander?

2) If Toyota continues to produce the non-hybrid 6cyl AWD Highlander, how will the hybrid version be able to compete after its release if dealers hold pricing at full sticker while offering huge discounts on the non-hybrid version?

8. tag

tag Senior Member

I have to amend my posts because I recently visited the Highlander Hybrid minisite. Apparently, there will be two versions of the HH; Fwd and AWD:

HYBRID SYNERGY DRIVE® SYSTEM
    Hybrid Synergy Drive® Pure power for both worlds.

Highlander will feature two versions of Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive: a front-wheel drive model and a 4-Wheel-Drive with intelligence (4WD-i ) model. The 4-wheel drive Highlander’s Hybrid Synergy Drive® combines the power of a 3.3-liter DOHC 24-valve VVT-i V6 gas engine with the efficiency of two high-torque electric motors. Using a series of sophisticated computers and sensors, it constantly monitors multiple on-road variables to provide an ideal blend of power and fuel efficiency for any driving situation.

9. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the info. My friend was quite impressed. The only item not mentioned so far has been price. Does anyone know what the stock Highlander hybrid is going to sell for?

Thanks,

Jeff

10. tag

tag Senior Member

I don't think pricing for the HH has been set at this time (at least I can't find it anywhere). IIRC, Dianne mentioned (in another thread) an MSRP of $36-38k, well-equipped, and in the neighborhood of $42k loaded (e.g. nav, dvd entertainment, etc.).

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bummer. For that kind of money, the Jeep Liberty diesel will beat the HH hands down.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

.....OR, for that kind of money, put in an order for two 05 Prius!

That way you'd get four rows of seats! :)

I wonder if someone like Wayne could find a way to weld two Prius together or something.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny\";p=\"2474)</div>
    This is probably a bit of an internet "no no", but I'm going to copy some info on the HH from PriusOnline as posted by C.Ricky Hirose. I'm copying only the data/informational portion as this should be (eventually) common knowledge/information.

06 HH or the Highlander Hybrid Update:
    Available Models: Model Numbers for :Northern California
    6960 2WD Base.
    6962 2WD Limited.
    6964 4WD Base.
    6966 4WD Limited.

Please Remember that this is tentative info only, Toyota Region
    Northern california has the right to order/change any model or color
    accessories as they see it needed and fit for the Region.

Available colors:
    040,Super White.
    1CO,Millenium Silver.
    202,Black.
    4R3,Sonora Gold Pearl.
    8N6,Bluestone Metallic.

Interior Colors:
    03-Ivory.
    13-Ash

***April 051st Hybrid Order. Tentative for May 05 Dealer Deliveries****

Packages:
    -FE: 50 State Emissins, AF package, Rear Spoiler.Fog lamps.
    Cruise Control,Sterring Wheel Audio Control,JBL Am/Fm CD Changer
    Sunroof.

-LL Limited package: Fog Lamps,Rear Spoiler color keyed.Power
    8 way driver's front seat,Power 4 way passenger's seat. Home link Leather sterring wheel JBL CD changer Heated seats. Sunroof.

-NV: Premium 8 speaker CD changer+Navigation.

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Re: Cost benefits of Highlander hbrid

Is it possible that the Highlander Hybrid will have the same 8-year warranty on the hybrid parts of the car (including the battery), like the Prius?