1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of 12v battery!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by walter mountain, Oct 25, 2015.

1. walter mountain

walter mountain New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had been having some testing done n my 07 due to the deadly red triangle. During testing they said my 12v battery was low and they needed to install a new one to continue the tests. I asked for the price and it was $360.00 - yes - at the dealer of course. I absoulutely refused and took my car away. I found a 12v battery at Canadian Batteries in Lethbridge, Alberta. COST - $72.00 plus $15.00 to install. The numbers were cross referenced at the shop. The battery has been in over a year and among other things has taken me across Canada and back this summer plus driving throughout Nova Scotia (about 25,000 kms). I stopped in the shop a couple of days ago and got the battery number for those of you interested NS40RSP - cost is now $82.00.

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure if I've got the right website. I googled "Canadian Batteries NS40RSP" and the top hit was to "Canadian Energy" website. It allowed me to enter make, model and year, to select battery. For both 2007 and (my) 2010, it recommended an Optima spiral-style AGM battery, the same one actually:

Capture.JPG

??? title.tag.8171-767.pages ???

This battery, being AGM, is safer for application in cabin, and works with the venting tube. I don't see a price on that site, but I happened to recently buy that same battery, from SaskBattery, and it was $229.

All the safety talk aside, you likely fine, I mean it's "in" the passenger compartment, but it's way at the back, bolted in, under the floor. Your call. And the price is right. :)

For reference, here's the battery you mention:

Capture.JPG

??? title.tag.NS40RSP.pages ???

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :eek: welcome!:p

#3 bisco, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing you refused the dealership's attempt to rip you off.
    But this was over a year ago?
    And they were testing because you got the "Red Triangle of Death"?

What was causing the Triangle? Did you ever get that resolved?

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife got AAA to change her Prius battery when it didn't start one morning on a road trip. They only charged about $125. That was about four years ago. I doubt it's AGM, and the voltages have always been a few tenths lower than optimum. I'm going to replace it soon with a Toyota battery--they're just over $200 from my local dealer.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it isn't a sealed battery I would check & add water before replacing.