1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cost of bumper cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Aug 22, 2007.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

Several months ago, I was following a semi type truck that ran over a mass of metal debris. My Prius was next. Insurance did cover it. Yesterday a guy in a jeep, with a trailer jack, backed into me in WalMart parking lot; then off he went. I hate to turn this into insurance and appear to be a bad risk. How much would a Prius 2006 front bumper cost? Could my local body shop do it; or need it be done by Prius dealer?

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Aug 22 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]500571[/snapback]</div>
    Any "GOOD" body shop can do a good job relacing the bumper cover for around $550 to $600. Toyota body shops don't have any big secrets.

Bumper covers are very easy to take off and reinstall. The problem is getting the replacement one painted. If you can get someone to paint it for you, you might save about $100 labor, but many shops will not want to guarentee their paint if they don't install it, and they may charge you a $100 install it yourself fee.

The other option would be if you could find one the same color and good condition in a wrecking yard, it would probably be around $250.

If you are good with paint, and by good quality catilized primer, color coat and clear coat from www.paintwould.com for about $80, you can get a halfway decent paint job if you keep your coats wet enough to not get any tiger stiping. I did this sucessfully on a bumper cover, but did not get acceptable results using duplicolor sold at discount auto stores. www.paintworld.com has truely superior rattle can paint.

So, to make a long story short, you may just want to pay the $550 or so to get it done and guarenteed.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Aug 22 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]500571[/snapback]</div>
    Should be covered under comprehensive if you decide to file a claim.

I think the cost of the bumper cover itself is a couple of hundred, but the cost to repaint it is much more; the cost to repair and repaint my rear bumper cover was $700 including the cost to replace my rear bumper protective decal.

Your local body shop could do the work; you do not have to use a Toyota dealer.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i bought mine on ebay, used i got it for 60 bucks needed to be painted though, which i did.

6. ohioflash

ohioflash New Member