1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of repainting rear bumper.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 5focus, Oct 30, 2007.

1. 5focus

5focus New Member

We were delivering a TV for my daughter's family and scratched the rear bumper. Its made out of rubber and the paint doesn't adhere that well. Tomorrow we pick it up at the Body Shop the tune of $339.00. This was an expensive lesson. :(

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where did you scratch it?

If it was the top of the bumper loading it into the cargo, could you have covered it with a bumper guard?

3. 5focus

5focus New Member

I found out I could installed a black rubber bumper protector for $29.00. But it is my wife car and had it repaired the right way than rather the bandaid. Gotta keep the lady happy.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have also seen a clear protector with Prius embossed in it which would help prevent future damage. Not sure where I saw it but worth a google.

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The city bus with a bike rack attached to the front just bumped my Prius back bumper. The bumper has some small dents. The estimates for a new bumper and paint to match are running about $800. not including any damage they might find underneath.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could still put the black plastic/rubber bumper protector on to protect against future damage, and also for its looks alone (some people, like me, like the way it looks a lot).

BTW, about 4 years ago I had my body shop guy/mechanic repaint the rear bumper on my prior car. He charged me only $80, but maybe that was below the prevailing rates in town.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 1 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]533284[/snapback]</div>
    The Rear Bumper Applique is a genuine Toyota accessory which should be available from any parts department.