1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by azgirl85379, Aug 20, 2007.

1. azgirl85379

azgirl85379 New Member

My husband drives his Prius between San Diego and Phoenix every weekend. So far we've had the car 2 months and have already put 10k miles on it. The first oil change we got at a dealership here in Phoenix and it cost $50. The 2nd he just got today was $100. Could this possibly be right? It was $30 for just oil which I know can be cut down by buying the oil at Costco but what about the other $70 ? They said that the next service at 15k will be $170. Wth!! Is this just typical of this dealership or is this normal? When we're putting 5k miles on our Prius every month there's no way we can afford this.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Obviously got ripped off. The dealer I USED to go to does oil change plus 25-point check up for about $30. I stopped going ever since I change the oil myself.

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]499275[/snapback]</div>
    You are getting screwed. Learn to change the oil yourself. You can do an oil change with synthetic oil for about $30. It takes 30 minutes tops.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]499275[/snapback]</div>
    Just curious, is this the first car you've ever owned? If not where did you take your previous car for service? How much did they charge? If it wasn't another dealership, why aren't you using the same location for your Prius service?

5. prius2go

prius2go Member

ha ha
    you ought to see uk prices

6. azgirl85379

azgirl85379 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]499284[/snapback]</div>
    We've used the dealership previously for our Matrix which was consistantly around $30.

7. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]499315[/snapback]</div>
    Well, seeing as how the Prius uses approximately the same amount of oil as the Matrix, what are they charging you for?

8. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]499315[/snapback]</div>
    The cost for the Prius shouldn't be any different than the Matrix. If you still have one of the receipts for the Matrix, compare and see what extra charges they are adding on for the Prius.

You also might want to have a talk with the Service Manager at the dealership and ask him why the Prius service is costing so much more than the Matrix service. Make sure you have read the Owners Manual before you do this, and bring it and/or the Service Passport with you as back up so you can substantiate a claim that All that is needed at 5,000 and 10,000 is oil change and tire rotation.

I'm guessing the Service Department is "selling" a bunch of unnecessary services, and counting on your fear of messing up your brand new hybrid car to keep you from questioning the services they are adding on.

9. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Also you might want to check the oil fill level yourself on the dipstick, you may be way over filled.

10. azgirl85379

azgirl85379 New Member

How much oil is it supposed to take?

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]499275[/snapback]</div>
    The official capacity of the crankcase is 3.9 quarts. The concensus is to add 3.5 quarts when changing the oil. IMO this is typical sleasy dealer behavoir. ANYBODY can do an oil change. If you can't or don't want to DIY then find an independant garage. Fram has a $5 rebate when a filter is bought with 5 quarts of oil.

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 20 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]499430[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure lots of other people have something to say regarding Fram filters. Here's something to read before installing another Fram on your car again, http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#fram

13. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just don't understand how a wonderful car company(Toyota) that is kicking everybodys butt as to design, performance and reliability can have such rotten dealerships.

Poor salesmen, service departments that can't answer the phone and give accurate answers to questions. The complaints (from me) go on and on.

Our other car is a Lexus. Super service, great service techn's. 100% different from the regular Toyota dealerships.

As far as Oil... I received a price quote on a Toyota Oil filter of $5.42 and $1.25 for the gasket.

I used to use Fram filters all of the time until I went into a NAPA store and they had a cut-a--way of the NAPA Gold and a Fram......Say NO to Fram------

There is just no comparision between the two. The NAPA has more pleats and higher weight. They are about the same quality of the oil filters(Champion) I use in my airplane.

If ytou are interested you can buy a tool that will cut apart the metal can of the filter and seen what's inside. Or... you can use a 32 tooth hack saw blade.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Crap dealers are not unique to Toyota.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Az, you don't have to change your own oil to spend less money. That dealer is robbing you by selling you a standard menu of stuff that the Prius doesn't need. You *do* have to read the Maintenance Schedule that came with the car, note what service is required at each interval, and then specify each of those services to the service department. If you are otherwise happy with the service at that dealer you should try this with them and have them tell you what it will cost. If they try to charge you much more than, oh, $30-$50 for the 5,000 mile service (basically just an oil change), then dump them and go to another dealer.

16. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 21 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]499718[/snapback]</div>
    I second this recommendation. It's what economists call price discrimination and businesses call market segmentation -- charging the customer as much as they're willing to spend.

A customer who goes to their local Toyota dealer and asks them to do whatever it needs is sold the x,000 mile service which includes low cost services of low value (such as fuel injector cleaning = a $5 bottle of fuel injector cleaner poured into the gas tank.) The dealer's x,000 mile service is priced far above the cost of the services called for in the owner's manual, but many customers won't read this and will pay what a dealer asks.

Of course some customers do read the manual and may even shop around. Most dealerships would rather have their business at competitive rates than lose them completely to other shops. Call the dealership and ask them for a price quote, listing only the services that are in Toyota's maintenance schedule that you don't want to do yourself. By listing the specific services you want, you've demonstrated that you're capable and probably ready to go elsewhere for your services.

I don't limit myself to dealerships, unless I need diagnosis, hybrid specific work, or the Toyota scan tool. Consumer's Checkbook Magazine is a localized Consumer Reports of sorts that focuses on local businesses. They only operate in a few metropolitan markets but consistently find that independent shops usually have higher customer satisfaction, less BBB and state regulatory complaints, and lower prices that dealer shops. Repair chains like Sears, Midas, Meineke, Pep Boys, etc often have very bad quality and complaint records. If you go to a non-dealership repair shop, just be careful to keep good maintenance records to ensure that a warranty claim isn't denied for lack of maintenance.

I don't recall, is there anything in the maintenance schedule is truly hybrid specific? Is there anything that a conscientious, attentive, competent mechanic couldn't do reliably? Keep in mind the Toyota techs performing basic dealership maintenance are often the most entry level. Maybe Galaxee's husband can tell us if there is any service in Toyota's maintenance schedule that Toyota only allows Prius certified technicians or diagnosticians to perform?

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 21 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]500071[/snapback]</div>

unfortunately, the answer to that question is no. all the guys where DH works work on prius maintenance. this has become a gripe for the prius techs... they get stuck doing the major repair work that is hard and can really suck and pays for #$%^ but everyone gets dibs on the moneymaker routine maintenance stuff like the 60k service. then when the other guys screw up something in the moneymaker service, guess who gets called to help out for free? <_<

18. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are allowing yourself to be ripped off. If they'd handed me a $100.00 bill, I'd hand it back and be asking what it's for. That's crazy.
    Alot of this non-sense with the dealers can be eliminated by telling the dealer what you want done. Tell them to do an "oil change", not a "5K service". That way they will only do what you ask for , and charge for nothing else. The passport to maintenance book outlines what is needed at each service. Don't let them talk you into anything else. And don't let them tell you there is a premium on Hybrid service. That is non-sense too.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azgirl85379 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]499275[/snapback]</div>
    You just now figuring out why they call the Stealerships? Oil changes are easy and take less than 30 minutes. Nothing else needs to be done that is of any importance at lower mileages.

20. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have just under 10K on the car now. I took it to the dealership when it had 5K, they charged me about $26 for oil and filter, topped off the fluids, checked the tire pressure, etc (the standard "free" stuff). They asked me if I wanted the tires rotated, I declined because I was going to buy new ones (upgrading) the following week.
    Just took it again to the dealership when it was 9K, and was charged exactly the same. The tire rotation I will get "free" where I purchased the tires.
    $30 for the service is understandable, charges vary even here from place to place, the question is - what is the $70 for? There should be a break down on the bill.
    Seems that each time you go there, they charge you more, I guess they don't want you as a customer.