1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost per 1 mpg analysis

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt Herring, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Everyone!

Over at ecomodder.com we did a "cost per 1 mpg" analysis taking the vehix.com cost of a new car (2010 or 2009 base model) and dividing that number by its combined EPA mpg figure. The list is 187 cars deep and they are ranked by $/1mpg. The Toyota Gen 3 Prius did well on this list coming in 6th behind only the Smart For Two, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio and Chevy Aveo.

The list is attached to this post...happy reading!

Attached Files:

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is a cool list. Too bad it does not also show the MPG rating, and base cost.

3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I get some time I'll update with your requests. It was initially created just as a jumping off point for someone interested in a new car who wants to get the most bang for their buck. It does not take into account amenities, carbon footprint, safety ratings, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like what you have done here. The biggest problem with this is that no matter what it never satisfies every single criteria and everyone is a critic. It's only a matter of time where someone is going to complain about it comparing cars that aren't in the same size category, or that others have a featureless base model, or the cost of maintenance, etc.....

5. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the entire reason we kept the parameters as basic as possible (how much 1 mpg costs taking into account the base price and combined epa...note the combined epa numbers we used were 50% city/50% highway).

A prospective car buyer can factor in their own parameters to decide which car is best for them. If someone wants to browse only a certain category or make of car they are welcome to manipulate the excel file as they wish on their own computers.

Still, it is an interesting list when taking into account the current economy and people wondering what car gives them the best mpg "bang for their buck." People can decide for themselves if the cost of the new car is within their reach or if it fits their needs. We are just offering the most economical based on mpg and giving them a jumping off point to start their search.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I remember seeing a similar number from Consumer Reports. However, the part that is missing is the 'seats'. This begins to make the $/seat-mile so other forms of transportation can loosely be compared. Better still, include seat and payload capacity. <grins>

FYI, the EPA ranks different cars based upon the internal volume. Thus most of the ones that show up better than the Prius are in the "small car" class while the Prius is in "family sedan" class. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

7. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great suggestion...feel free to add it to this spreadsheet and repost for others to enjoy! Again...jumping off point for prospective car buyers...not a comprehensive "Consumer Reports" list...lol!

If someone wanted to get the best bang for their mpg buck...they would buy a Smart ForTwo. If they wanted a bigger car (or any other feature not in the Smart) they can work their way down the list until they find the car that best suits their needs. This is an "mpg" motivated list...not a seat and payload capacity list!

8. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a great list and a great reference for anyone looking to buy a car. I've test driven several of the cars in the top ten, even the Smart. I found it to be a particularly punishing experience considering the mileage isn't that good.

I also think that this spreadsheet could benefit from total cost of ownership numbers, not just purchase price. I bought a Corolla in '06 because the TCO was better at that time, given the high dealer markups on the Prius and the fire-sale pricing on the Corolla (mine was under $12k.) However, that's turned around and both cars are being sold reasonably close to MSRP. That, and the fact that the Prius now has a proven trade-in record, made my decision different this time.

9. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Feel free to add it and repost for everyone else to enjoy! Alot of good suggestions fellas...put some time into it and add it to the "$/1mpg" spreadsheet!

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2010 Prius is a mid-size car. The second mid-size on the list is #38 (if I am not mistaken, it is Hyundai Sonata) which costs 65% more.