1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costal EV mod and auto lock...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,

I just got around to installing the EV mode from costal tech into our 2008 package #2 Prius and it works great. I went out and tested it and then installed the autolock mod and it isn't working quite like I thought it should. It seems that when the car is powered on the doors lock. I thought that the doors were suppose to lock when the car reached 15 mph. Could these two things be interfering with each other? Thanks in advance.

Steve & Kira

2. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update to the autolock from costal EV.

So I have some more news from the working of my EV and autolock mod from Costal. Today we took off from home to go to work. We both were in the car and the doors were shut. When the power button was pushed and the brake pedal is down, the doors locked. We went driving and when I got to work, I got out of the car and hit the door unlock button which unlocked all the doors so I could get my stuff from the back. Keep in mind that the car has not been powered off and my wife is still in the driver's seat and we both have the key fobs. After closing the back door I pressed the lock button to lock all the doors before closing the passenger door. The locks clicked in to the locked position then back to the unlocked position. I tried again, but it happened again.

So I'm not too sure what happened. Could the fact that I had a fob in my pocket outside the car and my wife have one in the car cause it to do this? Could this be because of the Costal Auto lock mod?

I'm still not sure why it locks when you power up and not when the car is at 15mph. Which color wire is the speed sensor wire? Maybe I didn't splice into it?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve & Kira

3. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Steve & Kira,

I have an '08 with package 2 as well and have installed both the EV and door lock kits from Coastal about 4-5 weeks ago. Both have been working flawlessly together since then;) . Coastal provides a great kit for both of these and the step-by-step picture directions were great.:)

If anyone is considering either one of these kits, you may want to consider the other, as both require basically the same dash dis-assembly.

The Auto lock is a really good feature, but don't count on the EV kit to automatically give you better mpg as the car's computer does a very, very good job at doing this dynamically for you. I feel it may be possible to use the EV mode to get better mileage in some situations, but these cases are the exception. For example, I typically encounter a daily 2-3 mile (level road) 5-20 mph stop and go traffic backup pattern where I activate EV mode (and deplete the battery without the ICE coming on). Once I get past the backup and back up to highway speed again, the ICE will recharge the freshly depleted battery.

4. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And watch how your mpg drops while its charging meaning you get no gain and a possible loss for doing that.

5. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank Joe,

Do your locks automatic lock when you reach 15 mph?

When you hooked up the two mods, did you splice to white striped black wire twice or did you splice once then split this to each mod?

Thanks

Steve

6. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well the auto lock still does not work after I tried wiggling and reconnecting the chip. I made sure that everything was connected correctly but it still didn't work like it was suppose to. I guess that maybe the chip does not work, because it was hooked up exactly as the directions said. I'm not sure if I'll try to get a new one as customer service from Costal Tech is so poor. The EV mod works.

Steve & Kira

7. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found that on my EV mod a spade bit did not enter the wire tap correctly. It had entered at an angle and thus not made contact. It looks connected but no contact was made.

8. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the tip. I checked the spade bit of the all the connections and there was a score mark that tells me there was some contact. I might try to re-connect it again and see if it works.

The weird thing is that the doors will lock when the car is powered on, so something is working, but it just does not lock like it should when the car reaches 15mph. I was thinking that the purple wire (the speed sensor wire, I think) may not be sending the correct signal? When I disconnected the purple connector, it won't lock the doors when I power on so there must be some signal coming through on the purple wire.

I am tempted to connect it to the purple wire that is used for the EV mod, but I'm too afraid that something will break.

Thanks for the help

Steve & Kira

9. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Steve & Kira,

Sorry about the late reply. Yes the door locks work after starting the car and then getting up to 15 mph. I spliced the wire twice in case I needed to trouble shoot it. If your having trouble, I think you may be able to undo the splice and shift the clip over slightly and try it again. Or you could try 'rotating' the splice clip to help make sure it's making contact.

Hi problemchild,

I haven't seen a mpg decrease yet, as I'm very, very aware that I am taking the management away from the car's computer (which is very, very efficient anyway) and overriding it based on upcoming traffic conditions. I feel that when I do this I am getting a slight mpg increase as I know the car will be back up to highway speed (anyway) to recharge the battery before I deplete it.