1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costaletech Navigation Enhancement Kit yet?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aromano, Mar 29, 2005.

1. aromano

aromano New Member

Has anyone received and installed the NAVIGATION ENHANCEMENT KIT from Costaletech yet? If so, can you comment on ease of installation (or not) and how (well) it works?

2. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    No. Not even a confirmation of my order, dispite having contacted them again via e-mail over there site twice for confirmation.

I dont hold out any hope of getting one now. If the pre-sales support is so bad, what will happen if the device is faulty or deosnt work? :x

3. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

I exchanged some emails regarding this kit with Coastaletech about a week ago. As of then, they still weren't shipping - only taking the pre-orders.

I can't imagine that the installation will be difficult; looks like the extent of it is placing the mod in-line by unplugging 2 connectors, and plugging the mod into the line.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Victor,
    Although I don't intend to be the apologist for Coastal I'll share what background on them I have. They seem to be a heck of a lot better with technical support and after-the-sale support than they are with up-front communication and in keeping the customers informed.

I have gotten a confirmation of my order receipt for the NAV mod, but nothing further. I do think it's a bit disappointing how slow they've been on this. I was promissed an Engine on/off-brake mode indicator going on a year ago...haven't seen it yet. Of course that's not even offered for sale on the site yet, but none-the-less I know he built it for me and had it in a box but never got it shipped.

Anyway, hang in there, they seem to eventually get things together. I almost wish they'd hire a temp for a while just to get caught up on their backlog of e-mails and to help get things moving in the shipping and customer relations dept....the Prius community is growing, and so is, I'm sure, their demands while their family continues to grow. Seems he needs to think about expanding the business a bit.

5. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Thanks Evan,

At least you got a confirmation which is more than I got ;)

6. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

same here

same here, I placed an order a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Really, I just wanted to know if I would be receiving one soon or have to wait 3 months.

7. KathyY

KathyY Member

I got my confirmation on Feb. 11 but that was the last communication. They haven't charged my card yet and said they won't until it ships. One of these days when I check my bank I will be surprised to learn the kit is on its way. It is something that I want but not urgent.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They were very good at helping me with the EV mod install. I get the impression that they do not have the Nav mod yet. The break and engine monitor appears to be some time off. I talked with them and it sounds like it is working on the Classic Prius. I wonder if there is a problem with the G3 or it may be they have two much on their plates. I agree it may be time to grow a bit and add help. The products seem to be very good. From what I see the Nav mod will be a no-brainer compared to the EV. Push the seat back pull the connections to the Nav ECU plug in the Nav mod and plug the connection piggy back on the Nav mod.

9. CHART

CHART Member

Similar report as Evan. I ordered in late Jan or early Feb (when it was an order, not a pre-order as the site currently reads) and received an e-mail saying "4 to 6 weeks." I waited until late March to e-mail again and got a generic, "we will e-mail you when it ships, but do not know when that will be" response.

Rick

10. abeles

abeles New Member

Anyone heard anything yet?

Also, are there any other companies selling kits like this that you know of?

Thanks,

Jim

11. DWrath

DWrath New Member

Update from the coastaltech website:

Introductory Pricing Has Ended

(Thank you to all who have responded during the preorder period. We are currently processing the orders and will begin shipping units during the next few weeks)
    The price for the NAVIGATION ENHANCEMENT KIT is $99.00 + shipping.

Has anyone received theirs or the new bluetooth enhancement kit?

12. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DWrath\";p=\"101801)</div>
    Woo-hoo! Haven't received the Nav kit yet, but I'm excited that they're finally announcing that they are shipping! :mrgreen:

13. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Read the announcment again...carefully

Didnt they say that when it was first announced in Jan/Feb?

14. Melgar

Melgar New Member

I spoke with the CoastalEtech folks on Friday about the Nav kit. 1st, if you pre-ordered and want the bluetooth enhancement too, it will cost you another $50 (for a total of $125). If you order both now, the cost is $149.

The units are not shipping yet and the best I could get out of them is that they are expected to ship in the next few weeks. No exact date when they will be ready was forthcoming.

Like many others here, I ordered mine in February with an estimate then that they would ship in 4-6 weeks. It is now looking more like 4-6 months...if they are to be believed now.

While CoastalEtech may have utterly lousy customer service, they are pretty much the only way to go if you want these Prius mods.

I want them, so I just try to swallow my frustration with the company and wait patiently. It sure would be helpful if they'd at least explain why there has been such an enormous delay. Instead, they've pretty much given us all a one-fingered salute.

At least they don't charge your credit card until the item ships. If they did, I'd be a whole lot more demanding that they get the things shipped out...

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Melgar\";p=\"102172)</div>
    Huh? So not only did CoastalEtech didn't notify us pre-orderers about the BT option, but they don't give those same pre-orderers any price breaks for the BT option?

And when was it a "pre-order" in the vein of getting enough people signed up before committing to an "order"?

If only Coastal wasn't the only game in town...

16. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i was stoked when i heard about the video input, and other mods. but they should at least edit their website regarding delivery time. or maybe an apology to those who ordered months ago. :roll: but still, i have to hand it to them that they are the only ones (thus far) offering such mods.

17. kartanoman

kartanoman New Member

Pardon me for going on a slight tangent, but Coastaletech isn't the only shop selling the A/V interface ... see the link:

http://www.audioandvideointerfaces.com/pro...tail-TOYOTA.htm

I purchased this unit late last week and received my UPS shipping tracker for it this morning; it will be on my doorstep tomorrow afternoon. I purchased it so that my wife can watch DVDs when we drive long distances and I may very well purchase an mp3 player to integrate into the vehicle. The main reason, however, is because I really want the backup camera function for my vehicle. I did order the license plate camera from Coastaletech last week:

http://www.coastaletech.com/rear_view_camera.htm

In addition, to get back on track with this thread, I did put in an order for the Nav enhancement kit ... although I believe it was just before they changed their site to offer the Bluetooth option. Since I currently do not have a cell phone, there is no impact to me at this time. I may ask if I can add one when they process my order ... whenever that is!

Peace!

18. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Hate to burst your bubble kartanoman but the kit you're expecting to arrive tomorrow afternoon from another "shop" IS the Universal A/V Interface from CoastalEtech. Dave's been sending it for months now. Those of us with the factory NAV in the 2nd Gen Prius are waiting for the ViewTech 2005 that integrates including steering wheel control. :cry:

19. kartanoman

kartanoman New Member

Thanks for the clarification, BMcGraw! To tell you the truth, it's not really a bubble burster for me as I mentioned before that my main reasons for acquiring this product are to install a backup camera and have a means to output DVD video to the navigational screen. The audio would have been icing on the cake, however, it's not a show stopper for me as the six-CD player, cassette deck and radio are more than enough for me.

Again, thanks for clarifying!

Peace!

20. russcarver

russcarver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any word on the NAV or Bluetooth disable kits yet? Has anyone received one? I ordered mine in April (and the Bluetooth when it became available) and have seen neither. I have also never received any communication other than "we'll email you when it ships" during one phone call in Sept. At that time, they said none had shipped yet.