1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Gasoline OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Going Greener, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard that Costco gasoline might not be too good. It is convenient to stop at their station for gas before shopping, so I've used it for my older cars. These cars seem ok. I've never had physical signs like knocking or lack of power with those cars. But, I'm not mechanical/technical enough to know if anything bad was happening internally in the cars.

Should I be careful and not use Costco gas with the new Prius or is it ok?

Thanks for your help!

2. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gas is gas. It's an urban myth that they vary in quality.

1 person likes this.
  3. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been using Costco gas for over 10 years with both German and Japanese cars, and had no problems.

The different branded gas stations in your area will likely get their supply from the same refinery to save cost, so there is really not much differences in the end. Go with the cheapest or the most convenient choice.

With that said, several unrelated mechanics over the years did mention they would personally avoid ARCO.

1 person likes this.
  4. Going Greener

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Eoin & Marduk. Costco is convenient when shopping and they usually do have the lowest gas prices!

I was concerned as among one of the people who didn't prefer Costco's gas is an airline mechanic. Also, I was in line one time for tire rotation at Costco. A man behind me said that his nephew works in a Costco tire shop. I hadn't ask him about this issue, but he brought up that his nephew told him that he, himself who works there, would never use Costco gasoline, but said the air that they put in tires is great.

Marduk, I've heard some people comment the same about Arco too. Maybe it's from the same refinery.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About half the times I fill up, it's at Costco. No issues.

As far as I can tell, the only difference in gas brands is the additives some blend in. Are they worth it? Who knows.

1 person likes this.
  6. ckholloway

ckholloway New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that gas is gas however you want to buy from a place that moves gas at a decent rate. Like the bobs gas station on the corner (so to speak) if they're storage tank is 600 gallons and you only see a car a day at the pumps that a bad place to buy. Not because it's bad gas but because it has sat long enough that it may very well have a fair amount of condensation in the bulk tank. As apposed to say costco that probably moves a lot of gas in one day.
    Hope this makes sense and helps.

4 people like this.
  7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Costco service stations in the Great Central Valley CA (Sacramento, Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield) do constant business. Self-service is quick, gasoline is consistent, price is great.

1 person likes this.
  8. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used costco gas in my last car and it was fine. I even dyno'd with costco premium when I was tuning for boost and my numbers were not any different than others with the same setup. I filled up at shell for my first fill up with my Prius but my next fill up will be at costco when I leave for my road trip this Thursday.

1 person likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have also heard that they have great air.:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the Cleveland area Sams Club is always about 5 cents cheaper then Costco. I always fill up at Sams Club. It is 20 to 30 cents less then everyone else (except Costco)

1 person likes this.
  11. Kennewick Man

Kennewick Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use it all the time...............no problem...........:D

1 person likes this.
  12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm on my, um, fifth tank of Costco gas, and I think I'm actually getting the same or better MPG than I was with Shell gas.

I agree that volume moved through the tanks is important.

1 person likes this.
  13. dbldbl

dbldbl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But try to avoid filling up right after the station's tanks have been filled - the fill will have mixed up any sediment that might be in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  14. Going Greener

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stream - Yeah, hard to know if the additives are worth the difference. One additive would be a cleaner? Seems like among those who have a preference choose Chevron.

CKH - Didn't know about bulk tank condensation. Yup, Costco certainly wouldn't have a problem w/that!

Judgeless - Wow, it's amazing that Sam's could be that much lower than Costco! We don't have Sam's available in our area though!

Andino - I filled w/Shell, 76, then Costco gas. All 87 Octane. Have a safe and fun road trip!

Thanks all!

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As for what brands are 'bad' in any particular market, I believe the vagaries of the shared and co-mingled petroleum distribution system mean that each local market is different. The marketing arrangements that provide no-name-refinery 'bad' gas to certain stations in San Fran or Phoenix or Boston have no relation to what is bad in Seattle.

I believe this would be more of an issue at old low sales volume stations than at recently built high volume stations.

My local Costco refills so often that it seems any sediment will be pumped out through the filters very quickly, before it can accumulate. The local Safeway would do fairly well on this score too.

1 person likes this.
  16. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Costco is cheap, but its also as good as the higher quality brands. i've used it often when i cant find a shell station around.

and gas is not gas. Different brands of gas are indeed different. Our priuses, with high mileage, are extremely sensitive to different types of gas. My dad's 2004 prius would lose 5-10% gas mileage if he filled with a cheap no-name brand versus shell or costco.

Different refineries produce slightly different variants of gas.

1 person likes this.
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got Costco gas semi-regularly when last I lived in the Bay Area (over a 5 year period), mainly in Sunnyvale and sometimes near downtown San Jose. I never noticed any problems w/it. I also sometimes went to Shell and Quik Stop for gas, also w/o any issues or noticeable difference.
    That's what I used to think too, but I spoke to a tanker truck driver a Shell when he was unloading and he basically said it doesn't matter but understood (and respects my concerns, if I wanted to leave/come back later).

He said the underground tanks have stirrers running the whole time anyway to mix the ethanol w/the gasoline so him adding in gas really doesn't make a difference. Due to the stirrers, it's as if gas were being added all the time.

1 person likes this.
  18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    all gas is FUNGIBLE! which means its interchangeable. so one brand to another, its all the same...literally. pipelines move the major portion of gas around the country and all oil manufacturers share them. so we will have a Mobile refinery put 10,000 barrels of regular into the pipeline ANYWHERE in the country and they are essentially issued markers for 10,000 barrels of regular. which can be pulled from the pipeline anywhere in the country. now premium is put into the exact same pipeline and there is separators placed in the line to separate the blends (ever see the middle grade blend? i always thought that that blend was invented because the separator was not placed correctly).

now, "some" companies put additives in the gas, but that is usually mixed locally just before being trucked to local stations. the general consensus is that additives make for good TV ads and little else.

another thing. Costco probably buys gas from the local distributor who would also be selling the exact same gas to several other local stations as well.

as for me, i use Costco gas mostly because its usually cheaper, its ALWAYS busy so the gas is definitely not stale. i talked to the Costco guy at the Tumwater, WA station and they get their tanks filled 3 times a week.

PLUS, with a Costco AMEX, i get 3% cash back on gas purchases.

1 person likes this.
  19. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The local Costcos have their gas delivered by the same trucking company as I've seen delivering to Shell stations. One time I saw two trucks at the same station - one unloading and the other waiting for the first to finish. I've never seen that station with less than two cars lined up waiting for every pump.

Prices seem to vary faster at Costco than at other local stations. They're the first to lower prices, but when they go up, they may even match an Arco for a day or two.

As for quality, my car rarely has any other brand in it, and I've never seen any difference with another brand except for price.

1 person likes this.
  20. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's the deal. Gasoline is made from crude oil. NOT ALL CRUDE OIL is the same. Therefore, not all gasoline can be the same. There are different qualities of crude oil that yield different qualities of gasoline. They are all adequate and make basic requirements, but some fuels out there are simply better. Is it brand name gasoline? Not always, i've always had good experiences with Shell. I've had horrible ones with Chevron.