1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costs of Headlights and Tailights Gen 4 (Australia)?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by alanclarkeau, Mar 7, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 4 was released 27 minutes ago in Australia. I can't see any pricing yet, but the following has appeared in several news reports:

"...the headlights on the old Prius cost about $500 each, but the hi-tech headlights on the new model cost more than $1600 each.

The tail-lights on the old Prius cost about $600, but the new model has a two-piece design, which brings the cost to about $1000 each side ...

... an insurance policy price rise is likely given the cost of common crash parts such as the headlights have almost tripled and the tail-lights have almost doubled."

Any ideas / comments - or is this unique to Australia?

I was thinking of going to Gen 4 - but maybe I should look for a superseded Gen 3 (there are a few around still here, including iTech versions).

2. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Hi Alan,

I'm in the believe the headlight in gen 3 i-tech is pretty hefty due to it being LED. Unsure about the price, but it would be in the thousands. To replace the LED bulb is pretty scary too, although I haven't need one done yet (currently at ~161,000 km)

I am assuming the gen 4 base model, which is very well equipped, comes with LED front and tail lights, hence the hefty replacement cost.

My gen 3 insurance is still on the high side, despite being a 7 year old car and only worth approx $12k. Maybe due to having expensive parts like sonar sensors, expensive headlights, solar roof, etc etc. So I think gen 4 won't be any better!

Go for a test drive, preferably in a gen 3 and 4 side by side, and decide then. Don't let high insurance premium scare you, afterall if you have a good record (rating one drive), you will be alright.

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - yes, even Gen 3 insurance is fairly expensive, dearer than Mercedes or Volvo cars of similar or dearer price. It seems that there are no Gen 4 in local showrooms yet - next week, I'm told, not that I'd believe a salesperson.

godzillaismad likes this.
  4. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

I'm on the edge of upgrading to gen 4, really good looking, improved interior, improved driving dynamics FWIW (subjective), and better fuel consumption too... Also as you mentioned use RON91 instead of premium.

I just hope it tows now... Does it?

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting - I believe the previous models specifically said "no towing". I don't tow, so never asked the question about why.

On that, my daughter had a small used Suzuki Swift a long time ago, her first car. I kept track of costs, and it was generally getting 35 USA MPG - but one fill was suddenly 15½ US MPG. I asked her - "Oh, my boyfriend and I took the boat up to the dam fishing". The car had a towbar when she got it, but the handbook (which she assured me she'd read :() said not to tow.

6. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Yeah, some in this forum do tow with even gen 2 Prii. Bob Wilson comes to mind... Heck, my gen 3 just out of warranty and might just tack a towbar for the fun of it.

SM-G900I ?

7. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is an interesting topic. I often wonder how much the LED front and tail lights cost to replace, not only on the Gen4 but for any of the new cars! Recently I saw a new Cadillac Escalade and one of the LEDs was out in his tail light!!! What are we gaining anyway with these expensive lights other than being on the bleeding edge and looking 'sexy'?

In the 70's I used to change bulbs of various kinds on my cars. It was usually easy as pie and cheap. I never replaced a single bulb since. Now you have to replace the whole assembly. Usually one day after the 'end-to-end' - usually 36 months - warranty expires.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am looking at replacing my 2008 Gen2. This car was good to me. At 122,000km she still looks good - that is after being washed. I am looking at the Gen 4 (or Gen iV? - who cares). But I also have my eye on the 2017 Chevy Volt. I never owned a GM product and up to now I never thought that I will ever walk into a GM dealership - well the world is changing. The funny thing is that the price difference (the Volt being more expensive) is negated by the Ont. Govt. EV incentive of C$11,877.

Any thoughts?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Yeah I reckon that's a good chunk of incentives to get the Volt. I would cross shopping if I'm in the same situation.

GM/Holden (in Australia) was selling the Volt for $63k+, that's way beyond my reach. And now they discontinued it so it's a no show for us in Australia. Even if it still is available, coupled with the lack of incentives, it's a pretty tough sell down under... I guess that's why Holden pulled the plug on importing it any further.

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in Australia - I've only ever seen one Volt on the road. I don't think they imported them after 2013, but still had some in stock last year.

In comparison - probably every second taxi is a Prius or Prius v. And almost all the rest are Camry Hybrids.

11. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Let you guess you must be in the sunshine state of Qld? I was there two years ago... The amount of gen 2 Prii taxis are incredible. Mileage is well beyond 600,000km and still on original battery!

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, just on southern outskirts of Brisbane City. I'd say they're mostly Gen 3 Prii, but with quite a lot of Prius v. The couple of v I've seen close up had the back seats (ours are all 7 seater) dropped to make a cavernous cargo area.

There were some Passat Diesel wagons a couple of years ago, but rarely see them now. It used to be almost all Ford Falcon Wagons, but they stopped making them.

13. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

That's great... I'm surprised to hear mostly gen 3 now because it was not built as bullet proof as gen 2, maybe that was to do with earlier gen 3 production?

As an aside, you will really enjoy the quietness of the HSD. I was at exact situation as you were back in 2009. Crossed shopping a Prius and Golf diesel. Didn't like the turbo lag and the smell of the fuel. Also what swayed me getting the Prius is the dodgy DSG gearboxes and the high failure rate of the VW diesel HPFP. Personally I had a friend who had the Golf (petrol) stalled in the freeway, she had to fight VAG just to get it fixed. That was enough for me not to get the Golf!

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to work out what "HSD" means?

I think it's the age - is it 8 yrs maximum age?

Interesting - 2012 hybrids were 45%, 2014 hybrids were 55% of Taxis. In the same time, LPG vehicles reduced from 48% to 17% of Taxis, and wheelchair accessible went from 17% to 21%.

When buying the Fiesta Diesel (it replaced a wonderful Focus Diesel), I looked at Golf, and the diesel was POOR after the Focus (which uses the same engine as Peugeot).

I recently took a Petrol Golf Wagon for a drive - only available in DSG here, and was astounded by the clunkiness of the DSG. I had it in a carpark where I maneuvered it forward and back, and it was so hard to regulate it, it was either not doing anything, or lurching forward. I could imagine it in peak hour traffic as being terrible.

Golf's craziest "feature" was to hide the CD Player in the Glovebox. The salesman said - "nobody uses one of those any more". Sorry, Mr salesman, I use it 100% of the time I'm driving.

15. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

HSD = Hybrid Synergy Drive, meaning any Toyota with their hybrid drivetrains.

Sorry should have not use acronyms given you are new to the game

SM-G900I ?

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I knew of "Hybrid Synergy Drive". Which I reckon is a great system from all that I've read about it, and which has proven reliable.

Crazy thing about it is that Toyota refer to it in places in their brochure and website, but in the specifications, they refer to it a "Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)". At one stage I saw them referring to it as an "e-CVT". But with CVT, most people relate to the type with band drives - which were dreadful in the early (VOLVO) iterations in the '80s, and then when Honda and Nissan started with them 10-15yrs ago proved quite unreliable. If I were Toyota, I wouldn't mention "CVT" at all.

I know a couple of people who had Honda Jazz (Fit?) and Nissan Murano disasters with CVT, though I think Nissan bailed out the Murano owner.

17. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

HSD refers to the overall system itself, the inverter, ICE, battery, PSD, etc all combined to work in synergy.

ECVT, as you said, is unfortunate use to describe the transmission. Toyota should just call them PSD (power split device) to differentiate it from CVT. But then again, the auto journalist world wouldn't understand it and just call it CVT because the behaviour is very similar.

There are however no pulleys and belts, just a simple planetary gear sets, this is one of many explanations... Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

SM-G900I ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I read the WIKIPEDIA article a while back - and a couple of YouTube videos - but this is a shorter explanation.