1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could not get "no arrows" or glide condition at speeds > 30 MPH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Jul 5, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After driving to work for the daily commute today I wanted to report, what others have complained about, that I could not force the no arrow condition at around 30-35MPH (but could at much lower speeds).

Well the weird part is that after having read how much the Prius wants to force the 6 bands S.O.C. state, I would expect that it would allow me to coast at that battery charge.

Well it did during the mid-early portion of my 15 min commute which resulted in a drop to 4 bands S.O.C. Then it never again allowed me to glide or Have a "no-arrow" thing. It was essentially behaving like it does at speeds > 42MPH. What's more bizarre, it continued that behavior even when the first green band unavoidably appeared on the battery S.O.C.

My commute two work is a very favorable downhill slope where I have previously easily recorded +70 mpg 8-mile trips. Today's behavior left me disappointed. :unsure: :angry:

Maybe yesterday's rain confused the computer.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Been there, seen that.
    There are several reasons why it wouldn't perform, as I'm sure you are aware. In the end, it's just one of those things.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm sure you've checked to see that you're in "D" and not "B"....

To test your ability to deadband or glide, pick a deserted street that is level or very slightly downhill. Come to a full stop and let the engine go off, and then gently try to accellerate. You should be able to get up to 41 mph before the engine kicks in.

BTW when you're first starting out, I have found that the engine doesn't want to glide until I've either been at a stoplight (to make the engine go off) or until I get above 41 mph (or maybe it's 35 mph). If you're going to be on level residential streets for a time when you start driving, you might want to let the car sit in Park (or D) until it warms up. Then you can start out by gliding (or put in the EV capability!).

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Jul 5 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]473469[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to be that 35MPH is the magic number. I sometimes have the same thing happen when I try to pulse and glide between 31 and 20. Sometimes it doesn't want to glide in that range. If I speed up and do a 40 to 30 pulse and glide it then seems to work OK after that.

Go Figure