1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could really use some input for my parents from owners

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sdw, Mar 20, 2011.

1. sdw

sdw New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

My parents who are in their 70's are very interested in purchasing a 2011 Prius. As they are not computer savvy, so I am inquiring for them. They have been interested for years, but seem more eager now that Japan is in a turmoil! They do not want to get left out if there is a shortage looming. Are they correct in their thinking?

After reviewing Consumer Reports, I was hoping to see a very good reliability for the last model of 2010, but that was not the case. It had a solid black (which is never good) for brakes, which may have affected reliability as a whole. After doing some research, there seemed to be a definite brake issue. Has the brake issue been fixed permanently or is it still ongoing? Also, if you are not very technologically advanced, do you think a couple in their 70's might find it a hindrance with all the modern mechanics of the vehicle? Lastly, my dad wants leather seats, so does that automatically place him in the Prius IV?

Thanks in advance for any advice I can pass along to them! I thought I would come to the source who knows best!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this would make me nervous. there are a lot of horror stories out there about people over 55-60 who have trouble with the technology. how about a corolla?

3. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What technology? It drives like any other car, with a steering wheel and pedals. You fill it with gas. The only thing that might throw them off is the keyless start, but that is really more of a luxury feature than a technological advance.

4. sdw

sdw New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me, it is far more technologically advanced than a 1999 Honda Accord! My comment comes from reading a review from cnet.com today. They even seemed to have issues!

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, pffffff. It's a car. It's a very easy to drive/park/care for car. It's also incredibly easy to enter/exit, which is helpful for people with less flexibility.

Most of the people I see in Prii around here are really, really old.

The only people who have that much trouble with the technology are the ones that can't change their habits enough to use a Power button, and a Park button.

You might consider looking at the ones that don't have Nav. The dash is a lot more plain old car like.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you driven the car?

A car without Nav and without the AT package available on the Five is really not that high tech. It has a digital dash...but the audio and climate inputs are all pretty standard. The interface with the gearshift is unusual, but easy to get used to.

As for the brakes, braking in a Hybrid feels different than in a regular car, the issue is with that feel and how people reacted to it. They adjusted the brakes for feel, but the differences are going to be there...

They need to drive one and see what they think...

If someone at CNET had issues operating the technology in even a loaded Five w/ AT Prius...they have no business doing reviews for CNET.

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree with bisco...why a Prius? My wife hates driving my Prius because she is not used to it. The push button starter, the keyless entry (and lock), constant beeping on reverse, the grearshift, the braking system, remembering to turn the car off!!, etc.. Someone elderly may not like all of these things. (Yes, i know that some of these things are just a matter of getting used to it and you can turn the reverse beeping off...but, we're talking about people in their 70's!)

I would tell them buy Corolla, another Acoord, or a TSX SportWagon if they need more space.

8. sdw

sdw New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see there is a passion on this board for sure that it is completely easy to drive. I will tell them also that are really, really old people, as well, who are driving the Prius model. The handling of the brakes was not the documented problem, it was failure of the brakes I was trying to find out about. I will continue to research. Thanks!

9. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP: why leather seats? I had leather on my past 3 cars and really like getting back to fabric seats which are more comfortable in both hot and cold. As far as too much technology - others here have nailed it: it drives like a regular car! The only other difference is that your parents would need to get used to the fact that the Prius starts the engine itself when needed. Not a big deal once you accept that.

As far as a Prius shortage...who knows for sure - maybe dealers will start to gouge customers for last year's "black eye".

10. sdw

sdw New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering if you are correct in your thinking. They are thinking only of dollars and cents at the gas pump. I will encourage them to test drive a variety of vehicles, including the Prius. Only they can tell what they are comfortable with really. Thank you.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats just the thing...there was no failure. The brakes FELT like they had failed but in reality braking force was never diminished.

If all they care about is dollars and cents at the gas pump...the Prius is probably not for them...

What other cars are they considering?

12. tk300

tk300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Rent one for two days. I just bought mine a week ago, but before buying it I rented one. The rentals are typically the basic ones, without the nav, etc.

For me, knowing it was a hybrid, plus the power/park buttons, and the display rich dash in an odd spot, made it feel different at first. But fairly quickly, it started feeling like any other car that wasn't my own.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am 55, so I fall into your 'really old' clasification. The Toyota engineers did a credible job of emulating a 'normal' car. The brakes seem normal, the engine braking seems normal, the steering seems normal, etc. If you are a fanatic, like me and many on Priuschat, you can defeat the 'normal' features to get even better mileage, but mostly you 'just drive it'.

My worry about Prius ownership is, do they drive it long enough and often enough to need a Prius? The Prius gets great mileage after about 15 minutes into your commute, but the first 15 minutes are not exceptional. If your drive is under 15 minutes, you will not see great results.

The Prius batteries seem to like being 'on', owners who do not drive their Prius for over two weeks at a time have way more issues than those who drive at least an hour a week.

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good gosh you're old! ;) I'm a '1957' model.

I think they should go test drive one and see if they like it. If it's overwhelming, they'll know when they drive it.

15. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a lot of folks at my church with Prii. I guess I don't count for being "old" :), but everyone else driving them is in their 60s, and one couple in their 70s. I'm talking about age, not mpg, so easy to get them mixed up sometimes...

Renting one really is their best option to see. The one thing that might seem "new" to remind them of is turning the car on and off. Apparently some people have complained that the car doesn't turn off when you don't turn it off (yes, I typed that correctly), because it will be silent when stopped, but you must push the "Power" button to shut down, it won't turn off by leaving the vehicle with your key.

Otherwise, it's designed to drive like every other car in the world, very straightforward and simple, no special knowledge required.

16. sdw

sdw New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the continued input and thoughts!! I think they should drive it, as well. Also, driving a rental is a good idea. I feel they will know how they feel about it once they spend some time in it really. Although my parents are in their 70's, they are extremely active. They work out at fitness five days a week, are involved in many clubs and organizations, and go more places than their three children!! In other words, they are going to be driving A LOT!! They also go out of town all the time to various functions. Thanks again for the input!

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP: do your parents have a habit of locking the doors when they exit the car ? If they do, then I say no worry because the IMO biggest difference from a regular car is remembering to turn it off. Since the car is smart enough to beep and refuse to be locked if still running, the door lock habit solves the worry.

Do you folks use a computer ? If they think of the car as a mobile computer they will have a practical frame of reference. My wife is not a luddite, but she in general adapts to change slowly and with a fair amount of complaint. To Toyota's credit she had no trouble with the Prius.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rental is the best way to go. it's hard to pay attention on a test drive with a salesperson buzzing in your ear the whole time. it's not like your trying to work a computer or something, it's more the pushbutton start, keyless entry, engine turning on and off at will, regen brakes kicking out on decel near 7 mph. things like that you don't experience on a 'regular' car. all the best!

19. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1 for trying one out for a few days.
    They'll either love it or hate it.

20. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

My wife and I are over 70, and I can't believe some of the comments I see here. (yes, we are not too old to be able to read, we drive a Prius, we use computers, cell phones, I-pods, androids, DVD's ). Why---we can even put together a complete sentence without having to say "like" with every other word.

What the hell does "age" have to do with "technology"??

This is disgusting and discriminatory. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5 people like this.