1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could someone explain the terminology for me!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cary1952, Mar 18, 2006.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any terms that would be helpful to me, i would appreciate an explanation of them, and how to use them, and what they look like on the energy meter! Thanks.

Cary in SD

2. the fish

the fish Member

glide = no arrows at all b/w ICE, electric motor, battery and wheels.

deadband = accelerating with no flow to/from the battery. Electric motor could be powered by ICE.

Deadband is a preferred method of pulse acceleration I think, but then again I am only getting 50 mpg (no expert here!).

Don't know if coast is different than glide.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Glide is no arrows on the MFD, unfortunately the truth is a bit different, you are using some battery power. That is advanced stuff and I am not sure that it makes any difference. Dead banding is very hard to do. I am not yet sure it is the preferred method of pulsing. Glide uses 2-9 amps of power so I have been experimenting with accelerating with a similar amount of charging to keep the SOC (state of charge) stable. So far it does not seem to be worse than dead banding. Coasting is well, I guess, taking you foot off the gas and letting the car charge and brake? You can use the MFD to learn glide and then the mpg and charge, discharge to do the dead band thing. We have a lot of hills and dead banding is tough going up hill.

4. Swamibob

Swamibob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coasting means just barely tuching the gas pedal enough so you see no transfer of energy on the mulitdisplay. This can only be accomplished at lower than 42mph. That is why people who pulse and glide try to go between 30-41 mph. so the engine won't start at 42mph.

Swami

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So is the only way to accelerate without transfer of energy from battery is to coast downhill? Or how else could you do it?

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    again, whether or not current flows in or out of the battery
    during acceleration [over a fairly wide range, in fact] all depends
    on the SOC. If it's at dead nominal 60% 6-blue-bars, you'll see
    the "deadband" state a lot more readily. It really has very little
    to do with where your foot is unless you've let up enough to
    decelerate or are requesting a lot of oomph.
    _H*