1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Could this be why the Prius is popular?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Carmakers adding high tech perks.

When friends check out Aaron Priest's new Acura TL sedan, the oohs and aahs start on the inside.

Forget the powerful 3.5-liter, 286-horsepower engine; they're more enthralled with the car's rearview video camera and the in-dash voice-command system.

"The technology is what gets people the most," said Priest, a 23-year-old lab technician at The Scripps Research Institute in San Diego. "They don't really care anymore about what's under the hood. It's all about what's in the car now."

How much of this list looks familiar?

rearview video camera
    in-dash voice-command system
    heated cup holders
    air-conditioned glove compartments
    rear-facing cameras
    voice-activated navigation systems
    keys that automatically unlock your car as soon as you're within three feet of it
    Auxiliary jacks for portable music players
    Bluetooth wireless for handsfree cell phone
    IPod integration kits to control the portable player from steering wheel buttons while keeping the gadget hidden in a glove box or center console
    key-chain ignition: the vehicle can be started from the warmth of one's home on cold mornings
    ultrasonic parking assistance

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From what I can tell, the environmentally-minded folks enjoy it for the relatively clean operation AND many of the fun goodies. The non-environmentally-minded folks seem to like it most for HOV access (if in one of those states) and because they can save money on gas AND because of many of the fun goodies.. There is likely a small subset of folks who fall between the cracks somewhere who like it first and foremost for the high-end gadgets at a budget price.

What amazes me the most is how few non-Prius owners even acknowledge that there are other reasons that the Prius is an attractive vehicle (beyond the hybridness).

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I love that.

Nissan's making a big deal about the push button start. I had that two years ago.

Oh yeah, think CVT a new thing brought to you by Nissan? Nope.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I like best about my Prius, in this order:

1. Low gas mileage/Low emissions (tie)
    2. Cargo/Storage/People space
    3. The techno-goodies
    4. The cool looks

So yeah, it's not a gadget-laden car that happens to get great gas mileage; it's a car that gets great gas mileage that happens to be gadget-laden.

5. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 4 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]400146[/snapback]</div>

This is basically my list too, except that I love the acceleration from a standstill. I'm not saying that I come anywhere near flooring it. My foot has never been close the floor. But, compared to my 9 year old Honda Accord and my 18 year old Honda Accord, this thing is so wonderful when leaving the stop sign. I also found that once I stopped being so timid about giving it some gas, my MPG Improved! The fact that it is such a high quality car that presents a new type of driving challenge and reward is really big on my list. By the way, this is my first no-stick transmission. I never thought I would say this, but I am so done with sticks!

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Storage is another thing that wins people over. I love showing the folding front and back seats. Then the under-cargo area. To protect the cargo carpet, I show them the side storage where I keep my drop cloth. And who doesn't remember the day they discovered the under-center-console drawer? Another favorite: two glove boxes and a shelf!

7. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 4 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]400142[/snapback]</div>
    Thast's funny, I bought my 07 Nissan Versa for the bluetooth and the smart key option as well as the CVT. And I dumped it for a car with the PZEV rating. sorry Nissan, you just weren't my cup of tea.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 4 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]400142[/snapback]</div>
    Well, push button start existed on other cars prior to the Prius. The BMW 7 series had back in 02 (if not earlier). As for Nissan making a big deal about it, they've differentiated themselves by bring it to some their lower end cars like the Sentra and Versa. How many econoboxes have that?

CVT? As far as I know, the first production vehicle sold in the US w/a CVT was the Subaru Justy in 1989. Nissan also has made it available (or the only choice) on quite a few vehicles in the US such as the Murano (had it for awhile), Altima, Versa, Sentra, Maxima. That's quite a few more distinct models w/available CVTs than most manufacturers.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What gets me is the people calling the Prius some kind of stripped down econobox but with a hybrid subsidy tacked on to the price. In otherwords....overpriced.

Yet how much on that list is available on the Prius. And for how many years?

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 4 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]400191[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't go so far to say it's overpriced considering Toyota was losing $ on each 1st gen Prius sold until near the end (unclear about current gen), but in all seriousness, despite a lot of goodies that you can get on a Prius, it DOES in many ways compare to an econobox. Examples include curb weight, size, screw on antenna that sticks out instead of a power antenna or integrated into rear window, engine noise and refinement, power (110 hp is econobox class), ride (it's definitely closer to Corolla ride quality than my former somewhat too soft 02 Nissan Maxima), and interior [no fake/real wood trim, interior isn't really upscale].

There's a bunch of stuff you can't get on a Prius that you can get on some other medium sized cars like power seats, heated seats, rear window sunshade, nav system that receives traffic updates, leather (until the 06 model year), sunroof, trip computer (beyond just telling you MPG), dual zone climate control, and HVAC for rear passengers.

11. pebi

pebi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 5 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]400187[/snapback]</div>
    Well, don't get me wrong I love my Prius, but just face it, there is allways somebody that have tried it before:
    Push-button start is the old way of doing it. Must cars from the say 30's have it. All Jaguars from the 50's have it. When the "key-start" came that was the big thing.
    And CVT, well as far as I know. DAF did that in the 60's. Volvo had it in the 70's and 80's.

A bit off topic: Do you know if the Prius runs at top speed in reverse, or is there a limit somewhere in the software? I have heard that Volvo 360 autmatic was the fastest car ever made in reverse. It made, what 100-120 mph as top speed, but since the cvt work the same way in reverse just with another direction of something it made that in reverse also...

/pebi

12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh. Don't know if it's actually limited as such, but you're not going to go that fast, as you've only got the electric motor to propel you backwards. The engine would push you in the wrong direction. :)

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pebi @ Mar 5 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]400205[/snapback]</div>
    As KMO mentions (and others have stated before) reverse is done by the electric motor. It's quite slow unfortunately. I one time did have to try to backup very quickly and well, let's say it was lacking. Try flooring it in reverse sometime in a large empty parking lot... You'll see what I mean.

14. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 5 2007, 03:48 AM) [snapback]400216[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius' ICE turns on in reverse. is that weird?

15. pebi

pebi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 5 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]400215[/snapback]</div>
    OK, thnaks. I guess that is a good limation then. ;)
    I have never noticed that, but normally you go pretty slow in reverse.
    (so Volvo still have made the fastet car then ;) if it is true, I'm not sure, just something I heard somewhere )

/Per

16. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 5 2007, 03:02 AM) [snapback]400193[/snapback]</div>

We moved from a *real* econobox to Prius It is not the same in any way *except* fuel economy. We had a Geo Metro before the Prius and a Ford Festiva before that. Comparable fuel economy (only a little lower at high 40's, though NOT the clean burning that we get with Prius) BUT the Prius, relative to those is:

-- far wieghtier, as evidenced for example by ease of getting out of our snow-covered and formidable driveway (not to mention the feel of a heavier car on the open road)

-- It has air conditioning (and automatic heat/air temp control)

-- it has auto windows and auto locks

-- way, way more room

-- quiet, relative to those we have had before

-- powerful, relative to those we had before...we actually pass people on 2-lane roads now, for the first time in decades!

-- a cool car, compared to, well, an econobox

Ok so I was a bit miffed that I could get those little fuel-efficient jobs for less than 10 grand and now to get only a little more mpg I had to pay over twice that. Turns out it is over twice the car.

Jim

17. LanceinOregon

LanceinOregon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 4 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]400159[/snapback]</div>

As a gun owner and CCW permit holder, storage was indeed a key feature that won me over also. The under cargo area is perfect for holding an Assault rifle that has either a folding or collapsible stock. Now that these short stocks are legal to purchase again in most of the country since the Clinton Assault Rifle ban expired in 2005, this is something for all Prius owners who own Assault Weapons to take into consideration. I love having a hatchback that has so much storage for trips when my friends and I go to the shooting range. But I also wanted a vehicle that would have a place where I could hide my new Special Forces 6.8mm Assault rifle, in case of an extreme emergency.

And the under center console drawer? That is the PERFECT location to conceal a handgun. Even my Smith and Wesson Model 65 .357 Magnum revolver fits just fine in it. With it's power, I could easily shoot clear through the bodies of other cars.

In any event, I feel as safe driving my Prius, as I do being inside my home.

NOTE: Be sure to check your local firearms laws, before carrying loaded guns in your Prius. For example, I can only carry these guns loaded in my car here in Oregon because of my CCW Permit. Without a Permit, I could still have the guns in the car, but they would have to be unloaded. However, many states have much tougher laws on carrying guns in cars than Oregon does. In fact, in a couple of states and Washington DC, I would not have even been able to buy my new 6.8mm AR-15.

I always feel so naked whenever I go down to California to visit family.

Lance in Orygun

18. LanceinOregon

LanceinOregon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 4 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]400171[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you should have test drove your Versa more. How could your opinion of it change so much so quickly??

You must have taken a bath financially, as the minute a car leaves the lot, it depreciates quite a bit.

Lance in Orygun

19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lance, you might want to look into a modification that some people were talking about a while back: lockable under-cargo hatches. I think they might have just been replacing the standard "locks" with keyed locks.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that Toyota was the first with push-button start or CVT. Shoot, hybrid tech was patented when my grandfather was a kid.

20. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I ask what you didn't like about the Versa? My parents just came to visit. I knew they were going to surprise me with their new car, and I was hoping for a Camry Hybrid. It turned out to be a Versa, so I was at least happy to see it had a CVT and a 4-cylinder. They got >35 mpg driving here, which is much better than their previous Nissan A/T car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 5 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]400258[/snapback]</div>
    Not to get too far off topic, but: Tony, did you see the (~1906?) "hybrid" that Jay Leno showed Ed Begley? It used a gas engine to drive an electric motor. I believe he said it was made by Westinghouse. I also liked the car that had a gas fired boiler to drive a steam engine, and would pass CA emissions today! B)
    Of course, Darrell would have liked the Baker electric car that he took Ed for a drive in.
    Jay has some NICE cars.