1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Counterfeit tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tech Tips, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi everybody! So about 3 days ago the tpms light came on, so then I went to check which tire needed to be filled up and it was the drivers right side at 35psi (All tires were Michelin defenders at 40/37 psi). So then I filled it back up to 40 psi, but even after 3 days the light was still on so I checked the tire again and it was at 36 psi, so now I checked all of the tires visually and there were chunks of tire about the size of a quarter just barely attached to the tread:eek: Also all the other tires were just fine, plus they were made in Mexico but the front drivers side tire was made in Canada. Don’t know why that is but when we were picking up the car the dealer had just went to a gas station to fill up the front drivers side tire. So what do you think happened? What should I do?

Prius Rising likes this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And who killed JFK???

Seriously, how old are the tires and how many miles are left on the warranty?

#2 kenoarto, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go buy a set of new tires.
    It's a safety issue, and well worth the investment.

paprius4030 and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are exactly two real safety systems designed into a motor vehicle: Steering and Braking, BOTH of which are connected directly to the TIRES, making those parts the most important of all.

Michelin and most other tire OEMs, have plants world-wide, so you cannot infer anything from the COM information itself.

Most likely, the "dealer" (I presume used car dealer of some sort) or the PO ran the one tire BADLY low on air causing tread separation (Ford Exploder anyone?).

GET IT REPLACED, and NOW!

In fact, I would remove it and take it in, not risking driving even a mile on it.

Tech Tips likes this.