1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

couple more mods done... tint and wrap...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by xenonrider, Sep 28, 2010.

1. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    working my way through my list of mods and got a few more things done. 1. window tint 2. gloss black roof wrap 3. taillight tint.

was too dark to take good pictures of the window tint and roof wrap, but here are a few pix of the taillight wrap :rockon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm I'm not sure if I actually like te look of the red taillights but I absolutely love how you're making it your own. If I saw you on the road I'd give u mad props.

A guy here offered to swap his red tinted tails for my stock clear ones for free, but I just couldn't do it. It is very cool though.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, how did you tint the tails, with paint or a film?

I think the red actually gives your gray car some flare, and looks really nice. If you had red brake calipers or red trim rims the whole thing would look even more sick.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the taillights. Reminds me of the Evo 8/9 guys who do JDM Evo VII tail swaps.

5. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want red tail lights for my 2010... I have the black tint spray, but not confident in may ability to spray them.... Where did you get these?

I have a 2010 Prius II Black

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Partsmore, unless youre going for the murdered-out look, red tails will look better than black on your car.

7. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the tails were done with film. they can be off in minutes in case i ever decide to take them off. for now, i am liking them because they look more 'stock' or JDM because they are red and white; at the same time, they look different from any other prius. oh, and the rear turn signal bulb has a light spary of silver paint, so you don't see any orange;) with all the other prius running around in socal, i think that's a good thing :D

got the idea from bino, but didn't go as dark of a tint on the clear part.

may eventually paint the calipers after I get wheels and a drop. macmaster05.. did you ever get the lowering springs? what did you decide on? was reading through the forums and have decided what to do yet. will probably go with the eibachs.

here are a few more pix of the tails, the window tint and the black roof wrap. the roof wrap look pretty subtle because the car is dark gray, but i'm liking it more and more each time i see it:rockon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OMG. You say they're red tints?!?! Ok, now I want them!!!! I must have them. Where did you get them!?!?!

I changed my mind completely. The pictures are amazing.

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    xenonrider, definitely is looking pretty clean! Thought about de-badging the car a bit - removing the Prius emblem on the hatch and the HSD badges on the sides?

Perhaps wrapping the grill - the chrome stands out like a sore thumb - gotta figure something out with the front license plate, too!

Lowering it a bit to remove some of the fender gap in the front will also clean it up nicely...

10. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol.... yes, film. don't think i would want to make non-reversible mods to the car. i got the film from Metro Decals . 2ft of the "Red Out Film", 1ft of the "Light Smoke Lens Film" and a squeegy.

no a big fan of de-badged cars.. just IMO. will probably be painting the badges black and wrap the grill though. Also, it's quite a mess behind the license plate bracket (lots of scratches). Unfortunately, the license plate stays.

the fender gaps and the sucked-in wheels is definitely an eyesore. fortunately, lowering and new wheels/spacers are on the to-do list so they will be addressed:D

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link and information. I'm looking at their website now....does '2 feet' mean 24" x 12" or 24x24? Which squeegee did you buy - high quality or Duraflex? How did you measure/cut/install these? I'm not very good at these kinds of things and the instructions look daunting especially the part in red that says "PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION RECOMMENDED." Air bubbles, cutting it to size, etc all scare me. Oh lord....

By the way, I called my Professional window tint guy and he said itd cost me $80-90 for the installation alone - that's with bringing him the films! That seems like a rip off... looking to install these myself. Please tell me it's easy!!!

12. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it is not super difficult to do, but i wouldn't call it easy either. i have done a couple of taillights before and it still took me over 4 hours.

you basically cut the film larger than the area. spray down the taillight and film with some soapy water. use a hair dryer and the squeegee to apply and conform the film to the taillight. then trim the film with a razor blade. each taillight has 3 pieces of film so there are a total of 7 pieces that needs to be done (including the top-mount stop light).

$80-$90 actually sounds very reasonable. if it where a single-piece for the taillight, then it may be a little expensive. however, for 7 pieces, it's actually pretty cheap.

for the red, you'll need 24" x 24". if you want to give it a try yourself, just order an extra foot or two and see how it goes. it's take a little practice but it is definitely doable. little air bubbles are unavoidable (at least for me). most will go away by themselves. for the larger bubbles, just use a needle to prick a hole in the bubble to let all the air/fluid out.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm ok thanks again. I don't think I need to do top mount stop light (that's the main brake light, right), or do I?

The biggest challenge looks like dividing up the tail light into thirds to accomplish the red/white/red look. How did you measure and cut these parts. Are the outer red films touching perfectly with the clear film?

Also, did the films include the squeegee? The instructions alluded to that.

14. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i bought one squeegee with the film and only got one squeegee, so I didn't get an extra one.

you cut the film larger than the area you want to cover. once applied on to the taillight, you then use a razor blade to trim it to size/shape. there is no way to cut it to shape first as the surface is curved.

do the top and bottom red parts first then do the middle smoke piece. the middle piece will overlap the top and bottom pieces. use a razor blade to trim the middle piece where it overlaps. with a steady hand, it's not that hard to get it perfectly even.

as for the 3rd brake light, it's up to you. i did mine so it looks uniform.

here is what my top piece looked like before i trimmed it:

[​IMG]

and a little for 3m carbon (Di-NOC) on the car :)
    [​IMG]

15. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Im going with brake calipers tomorrow -
    where do I get red tail lights?

16. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

- and they have the Carbon also?

I like that spoiler.

I want
    Red tail lights
    Red Calipers
    Carbon spoiler

and will likely spray the Front and rear emblems Chrome black,
    and maybe the Prius and Hybrid ones or completely remove them.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Xenon, ok that definitely sounds doable. Do you think this mod can be done without disassembling the light? I'd be more afraid to take out the fixture than anything.

18. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a lot easier with the lights off the car. It's just 2 nuts holding the taillight in place: took me less than 5 minutes to get them off.

19. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you could do this mod without disassembling the lights but it would be easier if you would disassemble them.... when I did mine and a friends car we did not bother removing the lights....

here's a few pic of my lights and black roof (by the way car has been sold 5 months ago :(:(:( ):

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/53265-post-pics-your-prius-w-rims-12.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    looks great!!! awesome job. Interesting in doing it for cash? I'd love to have the grill wrapped in black vinyl. I've been trying to score an extra grill on ebay for a while now to paint black.