1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Couple of cool navigation and Hidden screen tricks!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Apr 30, 2009.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our navigation system takes a while to learn at best unless your already had one similar.
    I remember when I first got my car I raced thorough the manual trying to absorb as much as I could, but when it came to the navigation, I found it was more of a "learn as you go" system as the manual was rather confusing until you could actually put it to practice.

Here are a couple of cool tricks I found that others may or may not know, but I'm sure there are many other findings within the hidden screens that are fun to access and analyze.

This one I thought was really cool.. I could have used this once if I had known how!

How to find a lost partner when both have navigation

• From the car that is lost or stranded, while in the normal navigation maps, go to the destination button.
    • In the upper right you will see ½, hit that and it will take you to the second screen.
    • Now hit map on the upper left and it will immediately show you where you are at.
    • Now if you hit “info” at the top it will show you the coodinates, copy those down or get on your cell phone and tell these numbers to the car who will try to find you. It will look something like “N123456” and then “W123456”

• Now from the search car, do the same thing except instead of the “map button” hit the “coordinates” button in the lower left and punch in those numbers.

• It will automatically set them in proper format… enter with no spaces.

• Now hit enter at the bottom and it will route the search car to the stranded car!
    --------------------

How to tell the perfect time from the hidden menu

• Make sure you are past the logon screen that warns you of driving safely and acknowledge any prompts to access the normal navigation screen that allows you to see your normal driving maps.
    • Now once you can see your maps, hit the display button on the upper left.
    • Just underneath the “D” in the word display in the upper left of the screen “in the white part”, take your finger tip and touch the screen.
    • Now just above the “C” in the little word “contrast” at the bottom left of the screen, again “in the white part” touch the screen.
    • Do that sequence 3 times without too much time delay between the touches.
    • This means you will touch the screen a total of 6 times.
    • This will open up the hidden menu to see the system check mode.

• NOTE, if you were not successful, you can also hold the display button down and at the same time turn your lights fully on and off 3 times to access this same hidden screen.
    Hit the menu in the upper right hand corner, this will bring you to the diagnosis menu.
    • Hit the navigation check space in the middle, then in the upper left hand corner hit the GPS information.
    • You will now see on the second to the last line at the bottom the satellite time that’s tied to the “universal time clock” that will show GMT “ or similar based on which satellite you are locked on to.
    • Ignore the hour, as it will be different anyway unless your in the same timezone as the satellite your locked onto… it’s the minutes and seconds you really want to look at to set your watch by. You will note that the minutes and seconds are absolutely perfect real time to the Universal time clock.
    • I have a watch that updates to that time out of Denver and my watch is perfectly synced with this navigation clock.
    • This is a perfect way to access the perfect time when you are setting watches!

2. Dobey

Dobey New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the map coordinates function is already well known, I've read about it here as well as other fora, although I'm struggling to think of a scenario how a car with the Nav option can ever be lost - by definition the Nav map will tell you where you are. In cases where you are in an area that's not yet defined in the map software, knowing the coordinates won't necessarily tell the other person how to get to you by road, but it may tell them where in the unmapped area you are!

The coordinates function is quite useful though.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HI Dobey and welcome!....
    I remember one time my wife was stranded.... I can't remember if she lost her key "fob" or whether she had a flat or whatever, but I remember I wasn't able to figure out easily just where she was as she could'nt see street signs and the navigation as a bit vague, so she had trouble telling me what to punch in to find her.

I can also think of areas off the map so to speak like in woodsy areas where there are large distances between cross intersections.
    Much of the area here in Texas has miles of area like that.

Many women struggle with the technicalities of maps etc anyway... at least my wife does!
    To be able to dial right in regardless of weather or circumstances is a pretty cool function!

Even if your in an unmapped area, thats all the more reason to use coordinates as there are no real roads to give to someone, but coordinates will find you no matter what, even if it has to track across an open field.

I'm sure many folks already knew about the coordinates feature, but I've never had a reason to dig deep enough to find it till now... but would have found it sooner if someone had pointed it out.

4. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did the coordinates and had someone try to find me as a game.

I was using the Prius and the wife was using a Garmin GPS.
    I gave her the coordinates and she entered them correctly and tried to find me. She got about two blocks away, and was told she had arrived. We got together and compared notes.
    We both had the same coordinates, but the two devices were off by a couple of blocks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't know of any way to sync the two devices. Seems weird this would happen given the accuracy of GPS.
    I can set the Prius to a coordinate, and come back to the exact same spot using the Nav.
    Yet the Garmin was not able to get close enough to play the game.

Was thinking of geocaching this way, but using these two devices does not seem to work well enough.

5. fallingwindows

fallingwindows New Member

Hmmm....it's not the Garmins, I have about 10 of them in different flavors (I buy them for work), and they are all very accurate - will get you to the spot in 20 feet or less.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if was the Nav in the Prius.

I've had many addresses I've gone to, to be about 100 - 200 ft away from the real address.

I think It could be accurate when comparing notes against one Prius Nav against another, but not sure about that either.

I do know if you find your own coordinates, write them down, then drive down the road a ways and punch them in, it will take you back to the exact spot you first logged them.

It may have to do with Denso or the guys that make the maps... remember, this is not simple coordinates but maps are tied to them to along with addresses that have to jive.

But your right, you would think pure coordinates would ignore maps and all and simply take you to a straight line path to the other coordinate.
    But it sounds like thats not the case, as it has to interface with the maps too to take you there.

The "maps" may be the link in this chain that carries a little error.

7. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, I think the Nav in the Prius is likely to be the inaccurate one.
    I tried to search for this problem among the geocache sites and came up blank on a quick search.
    It does not seem to be a big problem anyway with that, but probably not too many use a car for geocache games etc.

I don't find any way to adjust the settings, so not sure if there is a fix for this.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the Garmin and Prius using the same coordinate system?

Both of my Garmins default to "WGS 84" map datums, but can be set to others. Lacking a Prius, nav or otherwise, I cannot check it.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could it be that the Map Datum on the Garmin is different from the Prius Sat Nav? The Map Datum setting can be changed on the Garmin, a popular choice when you are not sure what to set would be WGS 84.

EDIT fuzzy1's post just got in ahead

10. fallingwindows

Could just be decimal places of accuracy? - with my garmins I use decimal lat/long such as

N42.31586 W72.05485

If I use N42.3158 W72.0548, that is not the same coordinate at all.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    there is a calibrate setting, but I've never played with it and I don't think that would be a fix, because almost all of the time its pretty much dead on, but others not.

I seems to be very good a when to tell you to exit verses not because it would be premature etc but exact locations are harder.

regardless, I can usually see the location anyway, "its that close"

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay my Prius with European 2009 Sat Nav disc displays my location in coordinates of hh mm' ss".

On my on hand held Garmin GPS, I set the Position Format to hddd mm' ss.s"
    and the Map Datum to WGS 84.

My Prius Sat Nav and Garmin displayed the same coordinates.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, I don't think is a sattellite coordinates thing, I think its a map think.

What your doing will work regardless if your in the middle of the ocean.
    Whats gets tricky is when you tie it to a map address etc.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was answering Nortnarg's problem from post #4 i.e. why did the Garmin not agree with the Prius Sat Nav. I suspect that it could be caused by not using the right coordinate format and/or Map Datum.

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by a map thing?

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far, I can't remember anyone complaining about coordinates being different from unit to unit, but rather addresses being different.

I think they are treated separately in the nav system.
    I don' t know how the software all works, but assigning locations to coordinates would seem to be a nightmare full of opportunities for errors.

what I meant was there are different versions of maps out there and each one has hours of time involved in their development which could be riddled with errors based on human error and programming algorithms.

But coordinates are pretty absolute based on a global assignments from the satellite.

If I give you a coordinate, your nav regardless of type should find me perfectly, however it may not show me on a given road as indicated on mine or vice versa.

Keep in mine, my knowledge of these things are limited and I'm merely going off conjecture.

I would think coordinates is easy as its continually in connection with the satellite so even if there were errors, it could constantly correct.
    However maps are predone and subject to error upon creation and subject to error based on roads being moved too.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

You can google geocaching.com (there's a couple threads on PC regarding this hobby too) and you'll find that NO GPS is always perfectly dialed in. The folks who play w/ GPS's for fun will all tell you which is better or worse, and they all have differing opinions. They (GPS's) all receive info from satelites via the unit's antenna, which sometimes get a good/strong signal, and sometimes it doesn't. That data's accuracy will vary turning of terain, atmospheric conditions, even the temperature of the GPS etc.
    We've used our Prius & Lexus GPS's to go geocaching, and once we get close (or there's no more roads) we switch to the hand held. So enjoy your GPS, what ever brand you like to brag on!

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bragging, eh? That really wasn't my intention although I do love my gadgets and I would be quite happy to tell you the GPS models that I've owned (sadly, it's a short list), but I imagine that would get me a continued frosty reception :cool:

A geocaching location is a position taken a while ago, anything over a few hours and the satellite constellation will be different (and all the issues that you talk about matter), so the coordinates will change a bit - it shouldn't really be that far out maybe less than 100 feet - I am guessing based on my experience with my GPS receivers although my memory of these things could be more optimistic than reality :)

Nortnarg's experiment was, as I understand it, taking place in real-time (as he relayed the position via phone), in that case as long as both GPS units have a good view of the same sky then they are both going to see the same birds and they should both give the same coordinates (as long as both units are set to display the same e.g. Map Datum, Coordinate display format, etc).

If you can't get two GPS units sitting side-by-side to give the same location then I reckon the settings are different between the two units.

For example, in the UK we have Ordinance Survey (paper) maps, if my GPS is set to WGS 84 instead of Ordinance Survey GB, my position could easily be out by 1/2 a mile when I attempt to locate where I am on the paper map.

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I don't know many people or businesses that gave out their GPS coordinates, is it (or was it) a common thing to do where you live?

I remember reading years ago about how Navteq collected or updated their UK data but I can't find that link now.

Here are some other articles one from Australia (nice bight paint job) and the other from the UK.

How Navteq mapped Australia - GPS

Mapping the World with Tele Atlas

I seem to vaguely recall at school, we learnt about OS Maps (paper maps) and I think the NGR (National Grid Reference) system and that seemed to cause problems for some students and that was easy compared to many formats for Lat and Long.

19. fallingwindows

If you are using WAAS feature turned on(land beacons helping out the satellites with accuracy), there should be no variance from day to day.

Converting to another coordinate system should not change anything either, if you are converting to enough decimal places / small enough units?

We use the GPS' at work to locate utility poles and manholes, so >50 feet inaccuracy could have us confusing poles, which would be unacceptable. But these are consumer grade. My $99 hiking unit has WAAS. As long as we have more than 4 or 5 signals locked in they seem to be dead on for our purposes; I think I could find the pole blindfolded, pinata style...

Pro-grade GPS units can be accurate to 1cm !!! If you put those side by side, they WILL read different :)

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Trust me to try and remember figures off the top of my head:rolleyes:

I automatically don't believe the accuracy figures that the receiver itself displays, I'm cynical enough to believe manufacturers exagerate their own accuracy value.

I don't know if we can get WAAS in Europe yet, I haven't worried about it.

If I were to read Lat N 42 deg 31' 58" off the Sat Nav and then think I could treat it as a decimal 42.3158 without converting it - how far off would it be and do same with Long?