1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Couple of 'quirks' in my new Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pearsonrj, Jul 4, 2005.

1. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The first occurred first thing in the morning after reversing the car out of my garage. I had my foot solidly on the brake pedal, but I could feel the brakes pumping. I very slight rocking of the car, with the brakes pumping about once a second for about 5 seconds.

The second was a bit more disconcerting. I turned left across traffic on a suburban road, into a parking lot. Since the oncoming traffic was quite dense I hit the accelerator pedal pretty hard and heard the ICE race as I smartly crossed the road and up over the curb into the parking lot. I needed to brake pretty quickly to reduce speed and so I pressed hard on the brake pedal. The ICE continued to go full tilt for about another two seconds, even after I had taken my foot of the pedal - and it was clearly engaged and fighting against the brakes. After 2 seconds is shut down and I slowed to walking pace...

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you have the floormat locks in place? Maybe you got the accelerator pedal stuck down?

The ICE will not turn off as soon as you hit the brakes, so it will still be going for a few seconds even if you slow down. The brakes are strong enough to stop the car even if the ICE is running.

How long have you had the car? How many miles?

3. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You also need to remember that the Prius doesn't have a "regular" automatic transmission. You will soon learn that ICE speed and noise have very little to do with the speed coming out. The CVT lets the ICE run wherever is best and gears to power to be the right speed. The whole thing is very dynamic. High RPMs and low speed equals lots of torque, letting you jump through traffic whenever you need to.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i be willing to bet its the floor mats. exact same thing happened to me. the floor mats had slipped up a little and when i jumped on it, the edge of the pedal got stuck under the corner of the mat.

scared the S*** out of me...