1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Courageous

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by spiderman, Oct 15, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went to watch this movie last night along with my bud and sixty other man from our church. Awesome movie, almost too awesome. Bring tissue. Spent some time deeply thinking about it and... I will, I will.

Anyone else see it?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not on my list. :)

Just out of curiosity, I googled for a review. I'll be charitable and say it's not exactly favourable.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well hyo, I suppose if I cared, I could go out and find a glowing review. The point is I wanted to know what others thought of it after they saw it.

FYI - Wikipedia
    The film was produced with a budget of $2,000,000, but on its opening weekend it grossed $2,000,000 in pre-sales alone and grossed $9.1 million total for the weekend. The film opened to mixed reviews from critics, but a rare A+ [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScore"]CinemaScore[/ame] rating from filmgoers

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had never even heard of it, but I read hyo's review and a couple other that were googled and that doesn't sound like a good story at all.

It is more of staying within the bubble instead of venturing outside of it for introspection.

I'll go see this movie if you and your buddies go rent a copy of Religulous for next week's pow-wow.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that there are no, in order of importance, ..
    1 Naked women...
    2 Massive gunfire....
    3 Different naked women, ones that are not in item 1...
    4 Explosions...
    5 Naked green alien women from Rigel 7...
    6 Phasers.....

I think I will wait for the DVD to come out, then I will borrow someones copy to watch....

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw it with my wife this weekend.
    No.....it's probably not going to be an Academy Award winner, but it was a very well done movie, especially given its very small budget.
    It is a movie that you can bring the whole family to.

If you're looking for mind blowing special effects, skin, lots of violence, or if you have an axe to grind with religion, then don't bother.
    They do not use the word GOD exclusively to precede the word dammit in this movie.

I would expect that most "mainstream" movie goers would probably give this movie a down-check, and I personally have no problem with that. Sometimes you have to swim against the "mainstream"... ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Writer, director, star, and producer positions are all occupied by two people with the same last name. (Brothers, perhaps, or father & son.) It's not the lack of swearing, skin, and violence I mainly note in the review; but rather that this appears to be a right-wing, fundamentalist Christian propaganda film. Bound to be satisfying to the target audience.

But to be perfectly fair, MOST films today are garbage. I'd have to wrack my brain to think of the last GOOD film I saw. Chicago was good. Winged Migration was good. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is brilliant. I liked the first two Batman movies, the ones with the Pengiun and the Joker. There are a few others. But most of what comes out of Hollywood is crap, so when I say this movie sounds pretty awful, I'm really saying it sounds like normal Hollywood fare. I'm sure if I saw it I'd be disgusted by the religious propaganda.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am sure you would be too D, but man it would be great if you would so I could get your actual opinion of it.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How would I know you would actually watch if I did take you up on the offer? ;)

10. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I plan on seeing it! I always trust Rotten Tomatoes and their critics only gave it 29% but the audience gave it 94%. Since it's geared for a Christian audience I trust these reviews. Everyone knows movie critics do not have a soul... LOL

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll wait for the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I really don't think you'd want my actual opinion of it. :rolleyes:

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That could be a long wait.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does present a certain worldview, but Rotten Tomatoes could have given it a 11% rating like it's opposite - The Ledge.

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll swear to your god.

16. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe he is his own god... that could be a problem. ;)

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am sure you do already, but that means little me.

18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely not. That is a major no-no for spidy's flavour-o-religion.

I have never sworn anything to any god, as that would be frivolous. Thought it would have meaning to you though.

I watch movies and documentaries from all angles and many foreign films as well. I do get outside my bubble. I suggest that you watch the film. I found it an interesting social study on the religious. Similar to how I found a recent show on the science channel to be an interesting social study on leaf cutter ants.

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's that good I will consider seeing it. Should I take a barf bag or just some anti-nausea medication?

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not the best movie of all time. But there is a very small genre for presenting a viewpoint outside of or against religion at all. Almost every movie has religion it. Shrek/Lion King had the stories about his ancestors in the stars, almost all the superhero movies it comes from some outside force, it is everywhere. So the total overall genre is small.

Bill Maher however is not an atheist, he is anti-theist and it shows in the film. It is an extreme point of view (that I happen to share). If you make it through his film, I would say you could stomach any Michael Moore film as well.

But if you only ever watch things that you agree with, you never learn anything. His film may anger you or rub you the wrong way, but in the end make you even more devout who knows. Films work for different people different ways.

I found it interesting because rarely is it socially acceptable to confront someone on their core beliefs. Generally your "circle" is filled with like-minded or close-minded people. And those that aren't, you don't wish to pry and risk losing a friendship. My room-mate is a staunch republican and sang in a christian rock band. We are good friends, we just don't discuss religion or politics as we are almost as diametrically opposed as two people could be. So when someone else pokes the fire and you see the reactions you are curious about, it is interesting to say the least. The "why" (or lack thereof) is essential to understand people, and it puts it into the spotlight.