1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Courtesy Toyota Oil Change Fail

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RickFlashman, Oct 2, 2009.

1. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just took my 2010 Prius for it's first oil change. I confirmed with the service advisor that they would use the proper 0w weight oil. When the car came out the service advisor again confirmed that it was 0w weight oil. I was still concerned and I asked the service desk lady if they use a different oil for the 2010 Prius. She told me they just use the same Chevron 5w as they use for all cars.

At that point they called back the service manager who told me they did use 5w because in their opinion it doesn't matter and should not make a difference. After I explained that the car calls for 0w oil and only allows 5w for a special circumstance one-oil change only, he finally agreed to swap the oil to 0w.

Of course now they want me to upgrade the pre-paid maintenance due to this "synthetic requirement" and I really have no way to verify that they actually used 0w. But I do feel concerned for other Prius owners who are getting 5w even when they ask for 0w. So other Prius owners using Courtesy Toyota (Winter Park, FL) are hereby advised to double-check on what they are getting.

Think I will cancel the service agreement and see if I can find somewhere else who will do the oil change properly. Very dissapointed in that I was lied to twice and that they have little regard for Toyota's guidelines and instead push their own interpretation of those guidelines.

Rick

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely complain to the Toyota Customer Experience people. This sounds like a dealership trying to maximize profit thru deceit. I think the number is with the owners manual materials.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oooo that just makes my blood boil. Stealership. I so don't want to bring mine in for its "free oil change". If I do, I will have them put it in writing and will want to see the containers after. And that depends if they will still do the "free" change after finding out they need to use synthetic.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the 5w20 they used were a full synthetic the difference between the 0w20 and the 5w20 really would be absolutely nothing at all to worry about. I would only be concerned about the difference in those two weights in the dead of winter in an arctic climate. What would make me irate though is that the vehicle calls for synthetic oil hence the reason they are allowing the longer 10,000 mile oil change intervals after the initial change. I would not want to go 10,000 miles on conventional oil.

5. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It so much cheaper to change your own oil and you know it's done right. You can get Mobil 0/20 from Walmart cheaper than what the dealer will their 0/20 for. The Honda 0/20 is non-synthetic and it is 6.50 a quart.

I have seen (used to work at a stealership) the Lube Techs change oil and after I saw that, I said never again. A lot of them use an impact gun on the drain bolt and that's a big no no. Then, half of them wouldn't even spray the under carriage to get rid of the oil that has dripped on everything. I have also seen them not use the customer supplied oil and they just put it back in the customers trunk. I have also seen them drive the front wheels over the ramp and luckliy the mud guards crushed between the car and ramps. They put on new mud guards and never told the customer.

Not all dealerships are like this, but I am one not to trust them. They are there for one thing and that is to make money.

6. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where are you getting this info on 10,000 change?

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great job keeping their feet to the fire. Too many people will be too afraid or intimidated even to ask the questions. Good on you for asking about and then for following up on the actions they were taking.

Every place I've seen has a little asterisk next the oil change price -- the words say something like "synthetic price may vary." We all know the synthetic oil costs more, so this should not be a surprise.

It appears your concern for other customers is well-placed.

Is your service agreement with ONLY that dealership? If it is a Toyota service agreement, do not cancel until you are assured you'll get every penny back. And, before cancelling, make certain you know from Toyota what you are supposed to get for the money. If it is the synthetic 0W-20, then you may want to get that in a separate writing and keep the service agreement. Otherwise, cancel it, advising it was obtained under false pretenses (Toyota said the recommended oil changes were covered, and they weren't), and demand payment in full of the money you spent on the service agreement.

Thank you for posting about your experience.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  9. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As earlier discussed my Stealership used 5W-30 for my "free" as in part of the Toyoguard package, so it wasn't free oil change. When I called them on it, because 5W-30 was written on the service order, their fix was to line out 5W-30 and write 0W-20 above it.
    I won't be back. And probably will NOT buy my next car from there either. Their loss

11. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Paradox,

I thought the Prius team posted that Toyota is not officially changing its stance pertaining the 5000 --> 10000 OCI for the 2010 models. I was following that thread, and came away with that as the final conclusion. There are separate questions 1) whether such a change is advisable (which would involve individual judgment) and 2) whether relevant warranty claims will be honored by Toyota if it transpired that the customer followed a 10000 mile OCI.

Sorry to branch this thread out, but only since this has already come up.

Thanks,
    Mihir

12. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They knew the car that they were selling you the pre paid maintenance agreement for. You don't have to pay any more money. There is no upgrade. You bought this agreement from a Toyota Dealer and they have to use the proper oil and parts to service your car. Take the car to another dealer for service if possible or call Toyota to complain. This advice is from my attorney son.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After reading about the oil change issues here, I contacted my salesman with this question since I had purchased the 5K maintenance services through the dealership. His response was that they had not been asked that question since the 2010 Prius had just come out. They contacted their corporate offices and were told that since Toyota did require the 0W20 synthetic oil that the dealership would honor the service agreement using the 0W20 oil. Of course I have not reached the 5K mileage mark yet to find out for sure.

Thanks to you guys for posting this. :)

14. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, got home so here's the scoop so far.

The dealership did show me the 0w containers after they replaced the oil, so I am reasonably sure that they replaced the oil from 5w to 0w. I hate the fact that the end result I end up coming off as the "bad cranky customer" just because I wanted my car serviced per Toyota's recommendation, not Autonation's (Autonation is the parent company of Courtesy Toyota).

In the end the Service Manager did apologize, claiming that it is only the 2nd Prius they service and they simply did not know. However he could not explain why a technician would put the WRONG oil in the car when the oil filler cap clearly says the correct oil to use.

In regards to the service agreement, what this dealer sold me originally was a "4" service agreement for a set price. The form has two options... "regular" and "plus". The plus is for "luxury, diesel, and synthetic oil cars". When I first purchased the car, the finance manager assured me the "regular" covered my car. However, that was not a promise in writing, so those with legal background understand that in the end what we have is what we agreed to. So my service agreement is for non-synthetic oil in a car that does not require synthetic oil, but it just happens that the only oil available in 0w is in synthetic form.

After some discussion with the finance manager, discussing my option to cancel the service agreement or "upgrade" it to the "plus" option, I opted to simply upgrade it and call it a day (the price difference, while not as cheap as buying the oil myself, was not crazy or anything). Just the principle of the whole thing.

However, the end effect is I don't feel the dealer did any favors for me at all. In the end they delivered what I wanted, but only due to my repeated insistence and taking almost 2.5 hours of my time to explain, re-explain, and re-explain to the various involved parties.

Personally, I think this issue, while resolved, had zero "customer service recovery". A simple additional discount on the "plus" upgrade or throw in a car wash, or anything else would probably have gone a lot farther to retain my loyal customer state than to leave me as a dissapointed, distrusting, disatisfied customer who currently does not plan to use or recommend any Autonation dealer beyond the "4" oil changes that my service plan includes.

But the advise applies to anyone at any dealer. The 0w cost them extra, so I recommend you are very clear and double-check that they did use it and not the cheaper non-synthetic 5w oil. As I discovered, just asking the service advisor before/after was not enough, it may take inquiring directly with the Service Manager or others who directly work on your car.

Rick

15. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should add, and those who know me personally have heard me say this before, the big negative that held me back on buying a Prius previously was their dealer network. Sadly, this experience has not changed my overall personal opinion that Toyota has one of the single worst dealer networks.

In contrast my local Smart dealer is a dream. My $11.5K smart is babied every time I go in, they treat me like best friends, service manager always gives me a tour of the car in the bay to show me everything he did (and he always manages to do 1-2 things extra for free just to go above and beyond). I leave with a freshly washed car and feel great. If only Penske (who runs the Smart dealer network) ran the Toyota network...

16. el723

el723 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had exactly the same issue with the prepurchased service contract which the dealer later claimed didn't cover synthetic oil. They issues a very poorly written letter indicating that "the best thing to do was to add a $20 surcharge" to all oil changes for vehicles requiring synthetic oil. I was initially upset as I thought they should have known that the Prius requires synthetic, so why sell me a service contract which isn't correct? They also offered to cancel the service contract which would have left me paying either $40 +/- for materials to do it myself or paying them $79 to do it. Either way, the extra $20 isn't a big deal considering the alternatives.

In terms of "forcing" a dealer to honor your service contract and losing money on the synthetic oil changes, good luck. They can't put $40 in materials into a $29 oil change. Are you going to sue the dealer if they don't honor it? Not likely. Its just not worth the headache for what amounts to a few extra bucks in a year.

17. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2006 Prius and a 2010 Prius. On my 2006, I was able to get the pre-paid maintenance plan for a very good price ($465). 50,000 miles and ten service visits later, I can tell you that it has been a complete nightmare. They have severely overfilled the oil 4 times and I caught them not rotating the tires at all on two occasions, and on two other occasions, they did not rotate the tires properly/according to specs. In summary, I lost all faith in Toyota's service departments.

Fast forward to September 2010: I changed the oil myself on my 2010 Prius at 1,375 miles. It was very easy to do. It was informative. And I have a great sense of satisfaction knowing that it was done properly. Oh yea, it was cheaper too.

A "certified Toyota technician" will never touch either one of my Priuses again for routine maintenance...

Bryan

18. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the club. I came to that conclusion many, many years ago. I had a brief lapse, got lazy and got lied to by the service dept., now I'm back to my old ways

19. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Rick - bummer.

The Dealers in this area are poor to poorer (well some of them anyways). For that exact reason I do my own oil changes - see my standard work outlining the procedure if interested. I use only Mobile 1 - and at the recommended viscosity rating.

Another dealer story if I may - When I bought my Prius, I actually put a $500.00 deposit on a vehicle 9 months ahead of the official release date for a 2010 Prius from Autoway in Pinellas Park. The vehicle came in and after waiting 9 months and they tried to sell me the vehicle $4000 above msrp (there so-called market adjustment fee). Clearwater Toyota wanted $2000 above msrp .... yes crazy times we live in.

I purchased the vehicle at Sun Toyota at msrp - with no games - just professional service. Kudo's to Sun Toyota ..... today I believe some dealers are discounting a few % off msrp, but I'd buy again at Sun Toyota no questions asked.

Sorry for venting - Mr. Bill :rockon:

20. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW you are part SETD region, Southeast Toyota Distributors which is not owned by Toyota (neither is Gulf States Toyota for that matter). So your dealer experience shouldn't be compared to the national dealer "network" so much as it should be applied to your region's dealer network. Unfortunately I hear too frequently about dealers giving half a**ed service to customers which just adds to the already overwhelming stereotype of our industry. I do wish there was more pride among dealer employees. I feel my region (CATD) Central Atlantic Toyota, has for the most part very good customer service.