1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CoverArt not displaying from USB in 2019 Prius Tech AWDe

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ron.in.Vic, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ron.in.Vic

Ron.in.Vic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    I recently purchased. The 11" head unit does display CoverArt from my Pixel phone, but not for files from the USB. We tried the USB at the dealer's in another vehicle and CoverArt displayed, allbeit not on the 11" unit. All 4 settings for CoverArt are on. Using both FAT32 and WMA & MP3 files; same problem. I've tried MP3Tag (software) to add CoverArt to the individual audio files but still no success. In many systems, folder.jpg works to display CoverArt. Page 122 of the Nav System Owner's Guide has several restrictions... I'm using ID3v2.3 (UTF-16) for the tags. I could use ID3v2.3(ISO-8859-1)
    Any suggestions on how to solve this?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need the parking brake on. It’s the silliest thing ever. Why bother with album art if the parking brake needs to be applied? (Funny thing, our Prius with the 7” display shows album art while driving. Try figuring that logic out!)

3. Ron.in.Vic

Ron.in.Vic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    When I engage the parking brake, stock images appear (based on genre?), not the Album Art.
    It definitely seems to be a software bug. Has anyone raised this as a warranty issue?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. It can draw the album art from Gracenotes or it can put the generic genre album art (like Rock or Pop or Classical).

You can turn off "Gracenote Album Arts" for both iPod and USB in the settings. You have to ensure that album art is in your mp3 file. Not sure if there's a specific extension (I use .jpg, .jpeg and .png)

5. Ron.in.Vic

Ron.in.Vic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    I've now been advised by my dealer that "With regards to the audio system, there are limitations to what the system can offer in terms of the image displayed on the screen; the system is functioning as it is meant to and unfortunately it’s limitations cannot be claimed under warranty." Having been a IT manager and software developer whose had to fix "bugs" under warranty, I am surprised that Toyota can get away with this. Wow! (Please note: I can get CoverArt properly displayed when my Pixel supplies it via the USB connection, so the hardware is capable.)

Is there someplace where this warranty exception is stated? Page 15 of the Supplement states warranty exclusions, but doesn't exclude software. Page 12 states that the installed audio systems are covered under warranty. Page 2 states the warranty covers "repairs on any part of vehicle that is defective in material or workmanship". I believe that a software bug is a defect due to workmanship. Well, it used to be before I retired, but with the "post truth" society, has this changed?