1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CoverKing seat covers DO NOT fit the 2023 LE seats

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jim Stoll, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Jim Stoll

Jim Stoll Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just as a heads-up to any LE owners looking for seat covers. I ordered a set of front seat covers in CR-grade neoprene from CoverKing, and while they are very nice looking (in the box) and well-constructed (from a materials and sewing perspective), they DO NOT fit well at all.

It appears that they were probably patterned off of a higher-trim model, presumably with plusher upholstery, as they fit the LE seats like the proverbial "cheap suit". :-/ The entire fit is very loose, and the seatback, especially, has lots of extra material. It appears as though the seats covers were patterned for both thicker and wider seats, and which also had some extra 'wings' near the top of the seatback, as all of these areas have extra material that puckers, sags and bunches. There is easily an extra 4" of material across the rear of the seatbacks, resulting in the back of the seats and the storage pockets hanging very loosely - to the point that they sag well into the rear passengers' leg room. The seat cushion bottoms, while overly large, can sort of be made to work by tucking in much of the extra material behind the plastic side cover of the seat base. (There are still unwanted wrinkles and folds as a result.) The head rest covers are also over-sized, fit somewhat loosely, and the velcro that attaches all the pieces under the headrest doesn't work, as the hook part misses the loop part entirely, due to the dimensions being too large overall.

The covers effectively fit as 'semi-custom', and in truth, I've had generic semi-custom covers that fit past cars better than these fully-custom covers fit the 2023 Prius LE.

I had several conversations with CoverKing about these covers, and they readily offered me an RMA to return them (though I would have been responsible for shipping costs back to them...). I enquired whether I could send them back for any type of alteration, and/or provide them any type of measurements to help adapt their pattern to the LE, but they declined. I then asked if I could get some type of partial refund, and alter them on my own (I'm no professional seamstress, but I do my own boat upholstery and alterations to boat covers, so I'm competent with my industrial sewing machine, and am reasonably confident I could get them to fit much better than they do), but they further declined to give me a partial refund.

I ultimately decided to keep them - at full 'custom' price - simply because nobody else seems to yet offer covers for the 2023 Prius, and my primary goal is protecting my seats, not getting some kind of 'deal' on my seat covers. I intend to make alterations myself, so that they will fit better - hopefully acceptably well, if not 'custom fit' as advertised and paid for.

Hopefully Wet Okole will eventually come through with covers for the Prius (and the LE, in particular), but as of a week ago, they still have not had any customers seeking 2023 Prius covers, and need a local customer to bring their car in for pattern-making.

I'm not trashing CoverKing here - again, they offered me a return/refund (minus return shipping), and were responsive to my enquiries, but they presented me a single 'take it or leave it' option. Ultimately, my intent is to protect my seats, as I frequently get into my car dirty, wet, sweaty, etc - I just wish I hadn't had to pay full price for what is essentially a poor semi-custom type of fit. :-/

#1 Jim Stoll, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  2. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e