1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coworker dropped average MPG by 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrohland, Oct 25, 2005.

1. jrohland

jrohland Guest

A coworker used my '05 Prius without me in it yesterday. He drove about 40 miles (US). In that 40 miles, he dropped my average MPG by about 2. That is, my average is about 48.6. When I got it back from him, it was 46.7.

How do you think he did that in only 40 miles? I think he was driving it like a rental car. That is, racing around without concern.

That will teach me...a lesson I already know.

jrohland
    Arlington, Virginia, USA

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how many miles was on that tank when you gave it to the coworker?

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is a simple answer.

First, I'm assuming your co-worker doesn't own their own prius and may have never driven one before.

Could it simply be, that if YOU are getting 48.7, that an untrained driver would likely get less? My average is right around 50 (after 4000 miles - 50mpg calculated both by MFD and fill ups). I would certainly expect that if someone else drove, it would likely drop.

Also - In that 40 miles - I assume they used it to go somewhere, right? Not just drive around for 40 miles? So, how long were they at their destination? That could be 2 warm up periods, which would also drop the mileage a bit.

Bottom line - there's lots of factors, but 2mpg doesn't seem that unusual. If it was 10, then I think you might have an argument.

4. jrohland

jrohland Guest

It was about 50 miles since the last fillup.

jrohland

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Inside of 100 miles on a tank, even 4MPGs up or down over 2 miles is easy. Mine only settles into a solid average around 200 miles...

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

that would be very easily to drop 2mpg on a 50 mile tank. I mean you should be glad that it only dropped 2, really. It depends on many factors, stop and go traffic, how many warm ups he/she did, driving technique

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With 50 miles on the tank, I can easily drop 2 mpg just during my 2 or 3 short trips during the work day, such as going out to pick up lunch and such. Even with 300 miles on the tank, I can drop 0.5 mpg during short trips at work. I usually gain it right back on the ride home.

I guessing that you commute to work in the morning and then your car just sits in the parking lot all day until you commute home at night.