1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CR knocks Volt, praises Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Octane, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports Knocks the Chevy Volt Senseless - autoevolution

"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy," David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center, said according to DetNews. "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

1 person likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I drive over a 110 miles each day for work, I really doubt that all that many drive over 70 miles each way in a daily commute. If CR meant 35 miles each way, do not discount recharging at work.

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dad drove 70-80 miles r/t each day for work. He had to park in a huge parking lot, without the ability to plug in and re-charge (seems ironic, considering he worked at a nuclear power plant). Compared to what he would have probably been able to achieve in a Prius, I think he would have just barely hit the break even point. I believe that CR didn't take into account charging at the work place, because a lot of them don't offer that capability. At that price point, there's a lot of routine maintenance that can get done to a Prius before you pay up that difference in purchase price. Even if you went to the Prius 5, that's still roughly a 10k difference. This may be why they recommended the Prius over the Volt in these instances.

Jimbo, I agree that with the ability to plug in at work, the Volt would essentially be "gas" free. But, the issue is still for most people about dollars and cents. I don't know many people that would shell out that kind of $$ for a Volt.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why the next one is going to be improved and ten thousand dollars less.

5. clickerman

clickerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The thing I found most interesting in the article is that assuming a cost of 11 cents per kWh, the cost per mile of operating the Volt is 5.7 cents on battery alone. This compares with the Prius cost of 6.8 cents per mile assuming $3.00 gas and 44 mpg. While gas has gone up since the article was written, a Prius operating on gas is very close to a Volt on battery alone. Of course, when the Volt starts operating on gas, the 30 mpg (premium) of the Volt compares very unfavorably with the Prius.

1 person likes this.
  6. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that there is already talk of an improved Volt at a lower cost when this one has barely launched.

1 person likes this.
  7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All else being equal, that's actually true quite often.

I think this is getting talked about more for a couple reasons:

1 - It's from GM
    2 - It's a brand new model
    3 - The price is high for the vehicle currently
    4 - The design aspects (internal workings) haven't been coupled together in this manner before.

I hate to say it, but all the hype initially with this vehicle seems to have over-hyped in the consumers eyes once the vehicle actually launched. I still think they could have done MUCH better with regards to the "generator" aspect, but I wasn't part of their R&D department and don't know what the other costs may have been associated with it.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's what manufacturers like to say . . . .
    The EV1 for example. . . could have, should have, would have been less expensive ... only like many an idea, it gets aborted just as it's being born. Here's to hoping GM won't make the Volt into another screw up.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They say you have to be in driving utopia to get EPA economy, hah. I can cop 50 MPGs today in a 3rd gen, blindfolded.

1 person likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt is a compact car but Prius is a mid-size. The smaller car supposed to cost less to operate.

Volt should be compared to Prius c when it comes out in about a year.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    GM’s Executive Director of EVs and Batteries said it is optimized as much as possible.

GM Will Not Increase Hybridization in Future Generation Voltec Vehicles

1 person likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    February sales certainly don't paint a hopeful picture: 281

2 people like this.
  13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    PC writers and readers are a pretty informed group. Most every issue is "flushed out" in detail. I feel sorry for those un-informed buyers, that have been "sucked-in" by GM's .... BS, and are now coming to the reality that they own a very expensive vehicle that does not meet their expectations, or GM's advertising. I have said all along, if (and I am not) I were "hell-bent" on a Chevy, the Cruze make so much more sense.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think 281 deliveries to dealerships.

I don't know how accurate Cars.com is, but they report Volt inventory on the increase. OTOH, no cars being offered online below MSRP. If that happens this year I doubt GM will continue the Volt program.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John is correct. The sales reported each month herein and in the media are the actual retail and fleet deliveries as reported by the dealers around the country. The dealers channel their sales deliveries to the Marketing Depts of GM, Toyota, Ford, etc. respectively then the various Marketing Depts reports 'sales' altogether on the same day.

The deliveries and sales from the factories to the dealers are NEVER reported anywhere in detail. That's confidential info.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's where I disagree with CR. They say:

The truth is, a Prius is not only better in the long run, it's also better in the short run.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the correction. How would a refundable deposit be tallied ?

18. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

There is a mechanism that all the dealers of all the makers have instituted called the RDR ( Retail Delivery Report ). It's issued a day or two after the buyer has actually
    • completed all the necessary financial and legal paperwork
    • taken the vehicle 'across the curb' away from the lot
    • transferred all funds due at signing
    Each state has its own regulations and a few isolated deals might be 'unwound' after delivery has been made but essentially as of Midnight on a specific date each month the final deliveries have to be transmitted to the respective 'motherships'. The next day, today for example, the Marketing Depts of the various makers collect and summarize all the individual dealer reports then send the summaries to the media.

A refundable or even a non-refundable deposit on a future delivery is not a sale for these purposes until the vehicle arrives, is settled up financially, is registered and then is sent 'across the curb' in the possession of the new owner.

19. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, lots of bashing as expected.

Definitely plenty of average consumers here in this board.
    quote: "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

Does anyone still remember when the Prius first came out, Toyota had to sell them at a loss ?

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^ The Prius never costed over $40k

^ The Prius never had to compete with the Prius

^ The Prius was never funded by taxpayer dollars.

^ The Prius never made outlandish mileage claims

^ The Prius never earned Car of the Year before it even debuted.

The bashing is 100% warranted.

8 people like this.