1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CR says 60 MPH = 3495 RPM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by toronado455, Dec 9, 2007.

1. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've Googled for a thread dealing specifically with this and found none so I'm posting.

Consumer Reports shows in their test data for the Prius:
    RPM @ 60 MPH = 3495

That is just way off the charts high, right? :confused:

Does anyone here who monitors tach data ever see RPMs that high on the freeway while cruising at a steady speed on a level road?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MG2 is turning at 3575RPM however the ICE can be turning anywhere from 685RPM under no load to about 4370RPM under high load. On flat level ground the ICE will be quite slow. Have a look here http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which issue?

Bob Wilson

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This just shows a lack of CR's understanding of the Prius power train. The ICE RPM constantly changes. It is low when there is no need for HP (coasting or going downhill) and high (yes, it can get even higher than the number quoted by CR) when accelerating or going up hill. There is no fixed relationship to speed.

JeffD

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only time I see ICE RPM that high at any speed is during very brisk acceleration or maintaining speed on a steep uphill. As others suggest, cruising at 60 MPH won't do it. Cruising on level terrain generally puts it in the range of 1500-2000.

The lowest I ever see it is about 980 RPM, a figure validated by many others.

7. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  8. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a CVT, so the common RPM vs. MPH maps don't exist for a Prius. If you need more power the engine runs faster. A level cruise at 60mph with no wind, and I see barely north of 1500RPM. Climbing an insanely steep hill, maybe it would get over 3,000. The only circumstances under which I ever see 3500RPM+ is when I get on the throttle for whatever reason.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    when going downhill and the ICE is essentially just coasting, the RPMS will be around 975 AT ANY SPEED... so CR is right... at least in one circumstance...it is possible with the right conditions for the RPM to be that high at that speed but it is much more likely to be higher at much lower speeds... brisk acceleration from a standstill will easily get RPM's that high

10. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify, CR lists this "RPM at 60 MPH" spec under the category of "transmission performance" and they define it as "The engine speed when cruising in high gear at 60 MPH." I interpret "cruising" as driving on a flat surface at a steady speed. So this spec wouldn't be for going up hill.

It seems likely then, that in the case of the Prius, CR must be using the RPM of MG2 rather than the RPM of the ICE. Just wish they would have made a note to that effect somewhere!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    video google usbseawolf's video. He took it btwn 60 and 70mph, straight, downhill and uphill.

definitely not 3,000+rpm.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Could they have performed the test in "B"? I'll head over to the book store and see if I can find the article.

Bob Wilson

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for correcting me, I thought it was about 990RPM.

I only used the tool from the site I linked. I was looking for a number about 990RPM but the tool only showed a minimum of 685 but now it is behaving differently, oh well. Would it go that low on a trailing throttle?

You get the idea anyway.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

at 60 mph the figures should read depending on how level the road is and at sea level the numbers I see are
    MG2 3400 RPM
    ICE 990-1800 RPM
    MG1 5200 to 2300 RPM
    depending on the hill I've see the RPM all the way from 990 to 4990 RPM
    Here on the west coast we have some hills and if you set it on cruise and let it do the controlling of the ICE there are some pretty wild RPM swings.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is close enough that I think what may have happened is CR incorrectly identified this as the engine RPM and not an internal to transaxle, motor generator rpm. There are idlers in transmissions whose rpm really doesn't matter unless you're designing a modification.

Without seeing the original text or quoted material, I don't know that it makes sense to send CR a correction on what non-technical owners might consider to be 'techno-babble'. After all, our Prius do not come with engine tachometers so it isn't like a CR reader and Prius owner will be comparing the CR article and their non-existent tachometer reading.

Bob Wilson

16. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think that they should publish the ICE RPM at 60 MPH, just like they do for every other car they test.

For example, they show the Nissan Versa w/ CVT as 2060 RPM @ 60 MPH and the 6-speed manual as 2705 @ 60 MPH.

They show the Honda Civic EX 1.8L 5-speed auto as 1975 RPM @ 60 MPH, the Civic Si 2.0L 6-speed manual as 2655 RPM @ 60 MPH, and the Civic Hybrid 1.3L CVT as 1810 RPM @ 60 MPH.

(BTW, all this info is on the CR website if you are a paid subscriber to CR's online version.)

That sort of information is very useful in comparing cars. Which is what people use CR for. Publishing the RPM of the MG2 of the Prius isn't very helpful for drawing comparisons to other cars. What people who look for this spec want to know is how high the engine will be revving on the freeway compared to other cars.

If they are going to publish the MG2 RPM instead, then they should at least make a note of explanation.

17. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do any hybrids have tachs. I think it would be hard to have a car without a tach.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The problem is the engine rpm is not fixed but in normal operation can vary at 60 mph from 1,000-5,000 rpm and each is perfectly viable. Unlike all other vehicles, there is no fixed ratio gearing so the rpm is all over the place. That is what continuously variable transmission means. But you could try to calculate probable values if you have a graph of power required as a function of speed and power generated as a function of rpm:
    [​IMG]
    So at 60 mph, we need 17.5 hp to sustain speed. Next we need the engine power as a function of rpm, which looks like:
    [​IMG]
    So with this chart we find 17.5 hp can be generated from 1,550-1,700 rpm. The difference is how much torque is applied at the different speeds. However, there is a powerful motor-generator set and battery that may need recharging or be discharging to provide motive power . . . which is not part of an ordinary car.

Without seeing the original CR quote, the reported number is within spittin' distance of the powerful, MG2, motor generator rpm. It is reasonable to assume they used this number instead of the more flighty, rapidly changing, ICE rpm.

Bob Wilson

19. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, not hard at all. Press the accelerator pedal, and the car goes. Press the brake pedal, and the car stops. What do I need a tach for? The engine speed tells me nothing useful and is likely to change constantly as I'm driving down the road. It would get annoying to see the needle jumping up and down constantly.

20. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Personally, I only read CR for their reliability report. Nothing else.
    I have found on many occasions that their testing/reviews are flawed
    For example, recently I have been researching Mazda CX-9 for my wife. Sat in
    one at SF Autoshow last month.
    CR listed its 60mph-to-0 braking at 159ft, which is as worse as a Ford Excursion.
    No way! CX-9 has four wheel ventilated disc brake (can you find another SUV/CUV has that kind of braking setup?).
    Other magzines such as MotorTrend and Automobile praised CX-9's outstanding
    braking at 127ft (60mph-0).
    Gee, who am I gonna believe, CR or MotorTrend?

Sorry for going off topic a little. There are people who are more professional in
    testing vehicles than CR. Forgive their mistakes because there are lots of them.