1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked fog light!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roadgoat, Jan 17, 2005.

1. roadgoat

roadgoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I washed my 05 Prius the other day and noticed that my passenger side fog lamp was cracked. Has this happened to anyone else? Are there any guards/shields that I would put in front of the lamps? I live in the SF Bay Area and drive on roads with a lot of debris. :cussing:

2. ammiel

ammiel New Member

There are plastic film shields you can get. I personally would wait till everything is good and dry the cover the crack with clear GE silicon cement/caulk forcing it into the crack as best I could. Wait till it self vulcanises then trim with a razor. It is too late for the film and replacing the lens is a big dealer deal. The bulb is asealed halogen bulb. All that is needed
    is for it not to get wet.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A rock appears to have struck my right fog light and put a nice hole in the lens as well. Just noticed it today. Anyone have a price for the assembly?

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"85128)</div>
    looks like $107.72 from my price list.
    PN LH 81221-52070
    PN RH 81211-52070
    hope this helps.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - thanks.

Found em for $77.82 at http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/ - I'll check my local dealer for price as well to see whether they're "sane" about it :)

6. Brian K

Brian K New Member

ammiel,

I'm pretty sure that I'm probably not the only person who'd like more info regarding the clear shields you refer to.

Where are they found and what do we ask for?

FWIW, I find the fog lights pretty useless with HID, But we paid for 'em and want to save them. Heck, I don't even use 'em, but I might need them some day.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to rewire them so that they can be used as a daytime running light (DRL) or to come on with my wipers so as to allow compliance with our local law? (when wipers are used the lights must be on. DRLs satisfy this law.)

TIA

7. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Posted Feb 11
    I have recently seen some discussion of cracked fog light lenses and the cost of repair as bumper must come off. I called the people who make the clear mask and they would only sell me bulk, they referred me to Tom from boston who sells headlight kits. He was kind enough to tell me their product is only made for plastic lenses would discolor from the heat of a glass lens. He was kind enough to refer me to John Byham of ClearGard who has just the kit for '04-'05 Prius @ $10 ppd. They are 2.89" dia. peel-and-stick. I ordered it. You can either wait until I guinea pig them or order your own.
    <[email protected]> or 814-763-1550.
    Turned out easy and fine. Ammiel

8. NiMH

NiMH New Member

I just noticed last weekend that BOTH of my fog lights are badly cracked and one lense is punctured. The car was new in December. The service manager at the Toyota dealer I was visiting commented that it was a bad choice to use glass lenses on fog lights, especially when they are mounted so low.

He offered that he would put the plastic protectors on a new pair. They sell for $180 CDN each at the dealer. :cry:

I think I'll have a go at getting some "good will" from the dealer who sold the car.

I would strongly suggest protecting your lights before this happens to you.

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I myself just discovered that they are glass lenses and was quite surprised. My replacement and surviving light will receive a protector of some sort once I figure out how to accomplish this.

Trying to dig througn my downloaded repair manual to see how to remove this guy.

So far I've got the plastic guard around the lens out, and it does seem to require moving the bottom shield out of the way. I'm pretty sure the task could be accomplished w/ some extra skill w/o removing the bumper - though bumper removal may make things easier.

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Attached is a pic of the lamp. Getting it out isn't too difficult once you know what you're looking for.

I was able to remove mine by partially removing the lower shield below the lamp (this could be optional for those highly skilled).

I then removed the grille surrounding the light by releasing the claws from behind. Use a taped screwdriver here, and pry from the front and you could be in the game.

There are three claws holding the lamp in. Release the first claw on the side of the assembly toward the middle of the car. Simply rotating the lamp top toward middle of the car released the second one automagically. Then, using a pair of pliars, release the third claw which is at the back side of the adjustment screw. This may be difficult, but not impossible w/o removing the lower shield.

Then, twist and carefully remove the bulb.

You definately do *not* need to remove the bumper.

11. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Attached is a close-up of the clip that will need to be removed. Sorry for blur, I photoshoped it best I could.

12. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

I just had my Prius Paint Protected with Llumar film. My installer, was unable to obtain the "StoneGuard" (brand he recommended) light kit before the install. I did find an alternative and if he agrees to install it I'll purchase it.

For $44.95, I found "X-pel Headlight Protection" kit for $44.95 here...

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=332

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    both of mine are cracked. no holes though. no chips either.. just cracked.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any thoughts on aftermarket replacements? I've seen some highlander and echo kits on ebay and given that our lamp assemblies are identical to the 2004 highlander and 2003-2004 echo, it may become easier to put something more durable in there.

15. NiMH

NiMH New Member

Thanks for the info Rick. Since I don't expect my dealer will spring for the replacements I think I'll try adding the protective film over the cracks and see how it holds up. I found a kit with a clear film for protecting headlights for $20 cdn -- it is a few mm thick and worth a try.

I was also wondering if there might be a wire-mesh type of guard for this size of fog light.

It really looks like this is an issue Toyota should do something about.

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was envisioning a mesh grille that could go all the way across the lower air dam - almost racer type, but to keep the rocks away from the A/C condenser as well as the fog lights. My A/C condenser has a few nics, some a bit too close to areas that could leak for comfort. I'd love to find a way to keep them out - even if it was just a cheap strip of window screening.

17. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I'm going to try making a shield out of 1/4" galvanized mesh screening. I'll just bend it into a cup shape, with the "bottom" of the "cup: facing front, to provide a buffer distance before a rock hits the lens. The spring pressure of the wire should hold it in place. Hopefully it won't block too much light. They will make better DRLs than foglamps when rewired, another project I'll get to later.

18. dbird29

dbird29 Junior Member

There is a OEM Toyota Fog Light on EBAY. $88 buy it now option.

19. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My local dealer is going to replace mine under warranty. Parts have been ordered.

I have a suspicion that the cracks are not caused by flying debris, as many (me included) have not found any evidence of initial impact. If this is true, does a protective film make sense?

I am no expert, but I feel it may have to do with temp changes in the housing and weaker glass components used in them.....just a guess.

20. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you talking about this listing? http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...893458&tc=photo

It says that "WHAT YOU SEE, WHAT YOU GET." But the problem is that this is NOT the same OEM fog lamp that is on my '05 Prius. This fog has those vertical fluted lines on the lens. Mine doesn't have these lines. Unless this is for 01-03 Prius which I am not familiar with. So be careful.